MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

MoText with Fillet Caps always exploding when applying Soft Body Dynamics

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
MoText with Fillet Caps always exploding when applying Soft Body Dynamics
on Apr 30, 2018 at 2:21:13 pm
Last Edited By Xavier Bonet on May 1, 2018 at 11:47:26 pm

So I have this project setup in order to get the letters of a word to attract toward the center using dynamics and force (and a collision shape as boundary to limit the movement).

12372_dynamicstrialletters.c4d.zip

As you can see, this works. But it's boring... I want the letters to be a little soft, so that their interaction is a little more, let's say, lively. Not too exaggerated, just a little. Anyway, no matter how I setup the soft body settings (and how I prepare the letters as I understand will get a better result), they start to crumble and eventually explode. At any rate, the result isn't nice at all.

In this version of the project I've prepared the final letter and applied activated the soft body option of the dynamics, to show you what's happening.

12374_dynamicstrialletters2.c4d.zip

Now, I'm fairly new to C4D, and have been experimenting with dynamics, but no matter what I do, I always get into trouble with Soft Body Dynamics... I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but my objects tend to explode 95% of the time. And when I get them to stay whole, it's because I'm rather sacrificing the final effect I want—in fact, usually I settle for bouncing Rigid Bodies instead.

So I just wanted to once and for all get this question out there to get some expert insight on what I'm doing wrong, in order to be able to better understand SB Dynamics.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: MoText with Fillet Caps always exploding when applying Soft Body Dynamics
on May 2, 2018 at 2:51:27 am

Mesh Deformer like this 12376_dynamicstrialletters3.c4d.zip
Gone into much more detail here https://greyscalegorilla.com/tutorials/how-to-make-a-low-poly-mesh-for-soft... and here

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: MoText with Fillet Caps always exploding when applying Soft Body Dynamics
on May 3, 2018 at 3:30:15 am

I think what's happening is that the turbulence is to high an amplitude for the mesh level of the object. Even in frame one every poly is at a severe angle compared to its neighbor. If you look at the duck in the example you provided all the polys are pretty small and even and except under the wing all have normals facing outward and the overall distortion is very small. Because of the profile cap on the text and because of the tight inward curves and 90 degree corners it's not going be long before any deformation (with a small amplitude) is going to have neighboring polys intersect.
What version are you using? I don't think I'm getting the full picture when I open the file. So I may be using a different one from you.
Is this the bloating thing we were looking at a few weeks ago?
There's a good web tutorial on softbody deflating (you would use it in reverse) I'll have a look for and post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]