MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

What is the tool or process called when one sets body parts to touch and interact with others but not intersect them?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
What is the tool or process called when one sets body parts to touch and interact with others but not intersect them?
on Apr 27, 2018 at 1:34:54 pm

I'm so new to C4D that I don't even know what this is called exactly in order to look for answer online. Don't get me wrong, I've spent hours and hours looking for one using every term I can think of and, unless I'm terribly wrong, I can't seem to find any source of info. I did find one forum where the answer was (I paraphrase): This is done manually by the animator, because it would be overkill to set something up on the entire character that would avoid its body parts to go into other body parts... no one would animate the arm so far as to go into the characters torso!

Ok, but how about if I want my character to clap, or if I want two characters to hold hands, or if I want my character to hug an object or, even as basic as, if I want my character's feet to walk naturally on a surface? I feel like, professionally, in these cases there has to be something used that makes two surfaces interact in a natural way. That is, avoiding any kind of natural overlap or intersections, allowing for "skin", for instance, to somewhat give way and told itself to other surfaces while it's being pressed against them...

In my research, the tool that I found might come the closer to obtaining this effect is the Collision Deformer. I'm wondering of using this with the objective I have is rather more of an inelegant workaround ir if, in fact, this is what is used professionally for this purpose.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: What is the tool or process called when one sets body parts to touch and interact with others but not intersect them?
on Apr 28, 2018 at 1:23:03 pm

collision detection but collision detection was/is so expensive (in processor time) when the numbers of points get high. Two softbodies colliding would do that or a softbody with a collider. Cloth does that but if accidental penetrations happen it looks broken after that as the cloth won't come back out.
I don't know the latest developments but I'd guess that anything automatic in whatever pipeline is done whenever they have to for a shot and then back to 'old school' if the distance is large enough and not auto for every frame.

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
Re: What is the tool or process called when one sets body parts to touch and interact with others but not intersect them?
on Apr 30, 2018 at 2:03:26 am

Hi, Brian, and thanks for your response! Unfortunately, I haven't gotten any results be it through using the Collision Deformer or using Dynamics.

Currently I'm animating a couple of hands that fumble and drop a hard object they were carrying. So there's a moment where theres the potential for a lot of meshes to cross, what with both hands and the object moving around in close proximity and actually "bouncing" one off the other.

When using the Collision Deformer, it doesn't really avoid intersection as I would expect. And, then, when it sort of does, it basically turns the rigid object into a sort of jello that becomes really deformed with the collision... imagine a deflated balloon being deformed by the hands I was talking about. Only that at certain points the fingers just intersect and break into the object as if it were jello. So I can't imagine setting a CD on all 2 objects: it'd be chaos!

And when trying dynamics, the solid object just goes through the collider... No matter what setting I try, it doesn't actually collide. I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that when binding the IK skeleton to the character mesh, the mesh never actually moves, but is rather "virtually" replicated. (If I go in and edit the mesh, it appears in its initial state and not where its positioned by the IK.) So I'm guessing the collider is actually where the original mesh is, and not where it's being positioned right now, which defeats the purpose I'm after, and I'm not sure how to get around that.

Right now, I'm animating the whole manually, which wouldn't be a problem, except I'm not t all getting the results I'm after. First, I'm having loads of trouble getting C4D's keyframe's bezier controls to do what I want. Things get out of whack really fast. I don't feel one has that much control of keyframes... perhaps it's practice, but I come from AE, where I feel one has absolute control. Anyway, I also feel like the interaction between al objects I'm achieving isn't at all fluid or natural, which is why I started trying with dynamics, but had no luck...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]