MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Texture keeps "slipping" off my MoText with dynamics applied to it

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
Texture keeps "slipping" off my MoText with dynamics applied to it
on Apr 24, 2018 at 12:39:43 am

I've created some MoText and added a Rigid Body dynamics tag to have the the individual letters fall onto a plane as individual rigid objects. No matter what I tried, I wasn't able to get the letters to fall individually: I always only got the entire text to fall as a single object (I had the tag as Apply Tag to Children, and then Top Level). I ended up making the text editable, i.e. converting each letter into a spline and then extruding that. Now I had exactly what I wanted, so I proceeded to texturise it and everything seemed fine, until I rendered a preview of the animation and found that my texture completely "slips" off the objects... that is, it stays in place, as if the parts of the texture (the effectors and such) were set to "world" instead of "texture".

I'm guessing it has to do with UVW Mapping... but it doesn't let me generate coordinates for the object, no matter what I try. And, then, I've also set the texture as cubic, flat, you name it: it still slips, which is a first for me...

I've even tried putting the texture on the individual extrudes, and, again, setting it to cubic, flat, etc... the result is the same.

As I said before, my individual splines are each inside an extrude, then they're all grouped into a null, and that's where I've applied the dynamics, which I have baked an all. All of that I've tossed into a Subdivision Surface to soften the relatively-low-poly letters.

I'm afraid I've hit a brick wall here, and I can't find any answer online to my specific conundrum... I'd like to be able to solve this but, most importantly, I'd like to understand why it's happening, in order to avoid whatever I did wrong in the future. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Texture keeps "slipping" off my MoText with dynamics applied to it
on Apr 24, 2018 at 1:04:24 am

it pays to try all the settings. You can use the MoText, set Inherit Tag to None and Individual Elements to All in the rigid body tag. The texture is tougher since I would expect it to be a World problem but you are aware of that... can you post the scenefile?

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on Apr 24, 2018 at 4:09:19 pm

Thanks for your answer, Brian! Clearly I tried all settings except the one you mention ... (very-annoyed-at-myself-face) ... because you're right, that would've worked fine with the MoText! I guess I missed it. Anyway, now that I've gone this far, I'de like to know what's going on with the texture in my case and how to solve it for future similar issues. I've stripped the project to the elements that's causing the issue, and hopefully you can give me some insight on it:

12358_mytextureissue.c4d.zip

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 25, 2018 at 12:07:37 am

change the Space from Texture to Object.

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on Apr 25, 2018 at 12:44:29 am

Thanks a million, Brian! That worked like a charm. I've had to deactivate the bump, though, because the surface shaders don't have a Space, and therefore continue "slipping", but I'm going to see if a noise shader can give me a similar result.

So what was happening was that the shaders were set to Texture, so they stayed "glued" to the texture itself, which wasn't "glued" to each object because there were no UVW Coordinates, is that right? Therefore, setting them to Object "glued" them to each object. What I still don't understand is why Cubic and Flat didn't work. Is it because the Dynamics Take makes the group of objects into one whole object and even if you give each sub-object its own texture it is still playing ontop of big object created by the Dynamics Tag? (I don't know if I'm making myself clear...)

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 25, 2018 at 3:58:58 am

with yours that seemed to work, I wasn't convinced the color was moving at all on your objects (if you turn off all the channels except color) and when I replaced the layer with a simple checker pattern, no movement. But turn the displacement etc back on and obviously the object is moving through that.
While turning off all channels but color and putting a single noise there (texture space) with your scene I got the object moving through the texture but either:
- changing the noise space to Object the texture sticks
- making the objects editable the texture now sticks to the objects
but reload and try making your objects editable from the start and the objects move through the texture....

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on May 1, 2018 at 6:20:58 pm

Another fix that might help someone else who's having the same issue:

Hi, Brian! Thanks for the update. I too explored the matter a bit further to understand what was going on and found as well that it had to do with the displacement and bump. While in this particular case setting all space values to Object fixed the issue (well, it didn't fix it 100%, as I had to simply get rid of some shaders that don't have the space option and where still slipping) I found in another project that I was having the same issue but couldn't fix it switching everything to object: the texture still slipped! So I researched a bit more and found another possible fix that I think might help someone else who's having the same issue.

In this second case, I had a sculpted object with a rather complex bumpy texture with loads of noise shaders, and the object has a Spline Wrap deformer in order to make it wave across the timeline. When I was almost finished, I found that the texture slipped as the object travelled through the spline. And, as I said, no matter what I did, I couldn't solve it. Finally, I found the answer: the Stick Texture Tag!

I applied it, and Recorder the moment where I liked my texture the most, and that did exactly what it advertised: it stuck my entire texture to the object, no further tinkering needed!

I haven't had time to test this with the previous project that I mentioned in this thread, but I imagine it'll work just the same, as the conditions are fairly similar. In any case, unless I post back saying it didn't work, you can assume it was also a success in that case.

Hope it might help someone else!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]