MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Newbie to Dynamics

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matias Servian
Newbie to Dynamics
on Apr 23, 2018 at 12:56:49 pm

Hello, my name is Matias and im new to cinema 4d. My problem is this:

Im trying to replicate the death animation of a game called fortnite. when you die, all your inventory falls to the ground. i already have the models in 3d, so now im trying to replicate the animation. I created a plane and make it a collider body... then i made the object a rigid body. but im having the next issue. i need the object to stay static (the same position it has in pic 1) but when it touches the ground it bounces and changes (pic 2)

pic 1

pic 2

So, my question is: How can i make the object stay static?

Thanks, and sorry for bad english

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Newbie to Dynamics
on Apr 23, 2018 at 8:27:29 pm

I'm not sure that I understand the question. If you are trying to delay when the object falls you can keyframe the Dynamic setting Off, and then On when you want it to fall and bounce. If that's not it, please provide some more information.

Return to posts index

Matias Servian
on Apr 24, 2018 at 5:55:12 pm

hello, again... sorry for bad english. I want the object to react to dynamics, but i want its body to stay static... i already make the falling animation. but when the model touches the ground, it changes the the position and rotation (due to the bounce effect)

let me try asking the same with other words... i want the object to fall, but when it bounces on the ground i dont want it to flip. i need the model to keep the same orientation on its axis

Position A

Position B

The result i want

Content Creator from Argentina

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Apr 24, 2018 at 9:29:37 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Apr 24, 2018 at 9:30:25 pm

You could use "Another Object" as the Shape in the model's collision tag, and enter a sphere as that object. You will need to set collision noise to 0 for both the floor's and the model's collision tags so that the sphere shape doesn't roll. And since the model is using the sphere shape and size for collisions you will need to adjust the size of the sphere so that its diameter is the same as the diagonal of the model, otherwise the model will appear to rest with its edge above or below the floor. Hide the sphere by turning off its visibility in the editor and renderer.

I hope this helps.

12360_anotherobject.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Matias Servian
on Apr 26, 2018 at 2:00:25 pm

It worked!!! thank you very much, one last question (i hope) when the object touches the plane, it starts sliding... i tried changing the friction, but that only makes the sphere to rotate. how can i make the the obj and the sphere to stay in place?

again, thank you very much

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Apr 26, 2018 at 2:40:50 pm

Assuming that you set collision noise to 0 for both tags (floor and model), unless the model isn't falling straight down (it has some lateral velocity from an impact, for example) it should just stop in place once the bounces end. Since it sounds like you are trying to recreate the actions of objects in a game, which don't act realistically (which is what dynamics is designed to do), the easiest solution may be to just keyframe the position of the model as if it is falling to the ground.

If you can't get it worked out post a project file and I will take a look at it.

(Just for clarification, I only placed the sphere over the model in my example to show how I adjusted its size. Its position is irrelevant as it is only being used as the shape for the collision.)

Return to posts index

Matias Servian
on Apr 30, 2018 at 2:15:03 pm

hello jim, thanks again for your patience. Im gonna keyframe the position of the model imitating the object with dynamics path so when i reach the ground i can make the object stay there.

im gonna try to finish it this week so i can show you my results.

A hug from Argentina

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Apr 30, 2018 at 3:33:27 pm

Good luck with the project.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 2, 2018 at 8:42:40 pm

Dont forget you can also animate things like friction so that on the frame they land where you want them, you can add a keyframe and jack up the friction so that the rolling object doesn't go any farther.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]