MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Werd "warps" at the angles of balloon letters

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
Werd "warps" at the angles of balloon letters
on Apr 22, 2018 at 4:07:03 am

I'm getting these very weird "warps" at the angles of my puffy balloon letters and I've tried just about everything to get rid of them to no avail. I would really like to know if there's a way of getting rid of them or if one just has to work around them...

My settings are as follows:

I woud very much appreciate some input on this; thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Werd "warps" at the angles of balloon letters
on Apr 22, 2018 at 4:28:33 pm

Hit that constrain button in the last image you sent. When you "bloat" a letter in any way the bloat can sometimes cross adjacent polys. The "constrain" allows the bloat but keeps the original font shape (or any spline shape).

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 22, 2018 at 4:30:37 pm

You could also change the spline type to uniform and then jack up he divisions (or do the same with adaptive but with adaptive you reduce the number down closer to 1) so that there are more "polys" to get round those corners cleanly.

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on Apr 23, 2018 at 12:54:10 am

Hi, Steve! Agin, thanks a million for your replies!

I'm probably doing something wrong... this is what I get when I check Constrain:

When I set the spline to Uniform and jack the number up (possible Trypophobia warning! Haha):

And when I choose Adaptive and bring it down:

Could it be that the text is simply way too small and it "breaks" the processes that make it puff out?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 23, 2018 at 1:04:45 am

I see you only have one segment on your cap. What about raising that up as well?
How are you doing the bloat?

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on Apr 23, 2018 at 1:37:09 am

I'm rounding the corners with the the Fillet Cap radius and then dropping the MoText Object into a Subdivision Surface set to Catmull-Clark, with a Subdiv Renderer value of 3, and Subdivide UVs (which up to know I don't understand what they're for... as I can never see any change) set to Standard.

I've tried putting the Subdiv Renderer value up to 6, and down to 1, and the result is always the same. The weird thing (or perhaps it's not weird at all) is that in the editor I can't see any of these weird bulges.

The problem with raising up the cap segments is that it really doesn't solve the issue, it only perhaps softens it a bit, but then it also really takes away from the puffy marshmallow-y feel, and rather makes it more like a bevelled edge...

I'm thinking of changing the font... I'm currently using Arial Rounded, but I've found a Google Font called Nunito, which is basically a spin on Arial Rounded but it has more weight options (whereas AR only has the regular, boldish type). Nunito has Bold and Black options, so I can get more of that puffy feel from the font itself and lower the cap radius to 3. It still freaks out a little in some letters, but at least that T, which is the most noticeably horrible one, isn't much affected.

I feel like what's negatively affecting me here is the size of my text. Because I have another, bigger text, which also has a couple of weird angle bulges, but they're much less noticeable, and can easily pass of as marshmallow-y imperfections. I could make the text much bigger, give it that feel, and then bake it into an object, but as I'm also using a Random effect to make each letter "float" a little, I think in the end I'll be over-complicating everything. So maybe I'd be better off with the other font, and allowing for a little bit of angle weirdness.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]