MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Constraint Tag resetting itself automatically

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
Constraint Tag resetting itself automatically
on Apr 11, 2018 at 11:58:33 am

I'm having some issues with the Constraint Tag: I'm setting it to Clamp to maintain an object on the surface of another. Everything seems to work fine but when I close the project and reopen it, the object with the Constraint Tag has reverted to an initial state and moved to a completely different part of the target object. I've tried everything: checking, unchecking options, setting the priority, you name it! To the point where I'm not convinced it's not actually a bug of C4D Studio r19. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Constraint Tag resetting itself automatically
on Apr 11, 2018 at 1:23:56 pm

I've had hit an miss results with this tag from day one. So much so no I don't use it anymore and instead use nodes in expresso to accomplish the same thing. So you may be seeing what amounts to an ongoing bug.
But you would think if it was working it would work when you load the project again.
Check the priority in the attributes of the tag. Some expression firing early in the animation might be upsetting it when the project loads from scratch.

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on Apr 11, 2018 at 4:45:06 pm

Hi, Steve, thanks for your reply. Yes, it really does seem a hit-and-miss tool. I've tried everything, including checking priorities, and the same thing happens. I decided to find a workaround for that specific object and now I'm finding the same issue on another object. This time basically I'm just trying to set a couple of buttons on a shirt; the shirt is a polygon inside a Subdivision Surface, so it bulges out a but. Every time I restart the project, all the buttons are reset to the center of the shirt! It's really a very dodgy tool... Any ideas how I can "bake" the button's positions and rotations so I can get rid of the dodgy Constraint Tag in this instance? It's the only workaround I can think of.

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on Apr 11, 2018 at 4:48:15 pm

P.S. Ah, OK, that was easy! I just delete the tags when i had everything set where I wanted and now there's no more offending tags that'll make my life a nightmare! Still, it's a pity the Constraint Tag is so buggy, because it's really the only way I can think of to set more complex objects on other object' surfaces and still be able to move them around. Of course, there's the Surface tool... but that one comes with its own set of quirky behaviours I can't get around...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]