MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

C4D is automatically putting the center of all my objects at the center of workplane

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
C4D is automatically putting the center of all my objects at the center of workplane
on Apr 5, 2018 at 5:14:32 pm

I'm rather new to C4D but am getting along rather fine with online tutorials. However, in one of my projects (only in one of them) I'm having this very frustrating issue.

I create an object and everything's fine: it's axis is where it should be. But the moment I make the object editable, the axis jumps to the center of the workplane, which makes it impossible to actually edit the object with any degree of detail without having to first move the axis back to its real center. Now, I shouldn't have to invest more time in re-centering axes, obviously, but the worst part is that as soon as I deselect the editable object, the axis resets back to the center of the workplane! Which of course means any time I want to edit an object, any object, even those previously edited, I have to readjust the axes... and, as far as I know, there's no one-button-way of re-entering axes to objects, so it has to be done manually and painstakingly. (Enabling there axis and resetting Position, Size and Rotation to 0 doesn't work because it's taking the center of the workplace as 0 in all cases.)

You can understand I'm at wit's end! I don't know if I've accidentally pressed a combination of keys that's activated or deactivated some function, or if it's a known bug that appears when one does something or includes something in the workplane, etc. At any rate, I've been working 3 days with this happening because I haven't been able to find any info online... I thought I would finish the project and forget about it in my next projects but the issue is proving to make my workflow as s-l-o-w as can be.

So I'm wondering if anyone out there has encountered this same issue or if I've in fact activated/deactivated something that's causing this... and hopefully how to resolve it or put it back the way it was, please! A million thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: C4D is automatically putting the center of all my objects at the center of workplane
on Apr 5, 2018 at 6:44:12 pm

Is the "create new object at view center" turned on or off in the prefs?
And when the axis get sent to center, is it the center of the view or the world origin?

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
Re: C4D is automatically putting the center of all my objects at the center of workplane
on Apr 5, 2018 at 8:29:53 pm

Hi, Steve, thanks for pitching in.

The Create New Object at View Center isn't checked. But I don't have it checked in any of my other projects, and they don't have the same issue.

As to you other question: The axis gets sent to the world origin. But only when the object is converted to editable. While the object remains as a parametric object its axis stays in place.

What could it be?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 5, 2018 at 11:02:19 pm

Just for fun try setting your coordinates pane to "world" instead of object before you hit made editable.

Also try the short cut (C) or the icon in the tool bar to see if they both work the same.
I've not seen this happen.
What version are you running?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Apr 8, 2018 at 10:22:53 pm

Xavier,

Sorry to jump into the conversation late, but since you said that this issue is occurring only in one project have you tried copying all the objects from that offending project and pasting them into a new one?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]