MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Why Do Some TParticles Pass Through a Deflector?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Fitzgerald
Why Do Some TParticles Pass Through a Deflector?
on Mar 29, 2018 at 4:12:37 pm

Hello Thinking Particle Gurus,

I'm having an problems of a very few Thinking Particles out of a whole bunch passing through the geometry of a deflector. Has anyone ever had this problem?

TIA,

Eric Fitzgerald

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Why Do Some TParticles Pass Through a Deflector?
on Mar 29, 2018 at 5:28:42 pm

I am not a TP guru, but have you tried increasing the Steps per Frame in the Project Settings > Dynamics > Expert?

Return to posts index

Eric Fitzgerald
on Mar 29, 2018 at 7:28:41 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try and at 10 steps and 20 steps the same three particles fell through the geometry. This is three out of several hundred.

Since the product is a dust catcher, the offending particles are a deal breaker. I may have to roto them out if I can't figure out why they are breaching the deflector.

Thanks again,
Eric

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 29, 2018 at 8:09:33 pm

You can also try running the whole project at a higher frame rate (simply change the FPS in the render dialogue). Then in your compositor just skip frame or time warp (without interpolation) to bring the frame count back down.
The issue with particles passing through is that on any one discreet frame, they might not quite touch the barrier, then one frame later they are beyond the barrier so technically there is no interaction.
As Jim suggested ramping up the samples usually does the trick (and sometime you have to go really high depending on the speed of the particles)

You could also add a TPposition node in there that says if the particles are beyond a certain distance, just kill them. In essence this is what the barrier is doing but that is more of a yes/no kind of test. With a position node you can use a greater than test.

You could also use a stunt double for your barrier (or use multiple barriers) that are invisible. Sometime an object just doesn't have enough geometry to catch all the intersecting particles along a curve. So you can rez up a duplicate of your geometry and hide it and it becomes the barrier.

Return to posts index

Eric Fitzgerald
on Mar 29, 2018 at 9:20:30 pm

Aha! Thanks Steve. I understand the problem now. I give the increase frame rate a try first.

Thanks, guys, for taking the time to respond.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]