MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Project won't render (preparing...) - Tried baking/caching

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordy Veenstra
Project won't render (preparing...) - Tried baking/caching
on Mar 12, 2018 at 7:39:43 pm

Hi friends!

I'm fairly new to Cinema 4D (using r17 studio). I started to learn Cinema 4D around 6 months ago. I decided to take a challenge and to create most of my motion graphics for my graduation film within Cinema 4D. One of my scenes is the one as shown in the photo's below. I made a cube, converted it to polygons, and gave the front a glass texture and placed a camera in front of it. Through the standard emitter-sphere-metaball approach I wanted to make some sort of liquid filling animation where the entire cube would be filled up with dark red liquid. I am planning to project the graphic onto a cube and wanted to create the illusion that the cube in real life is being filled by the liquid. I added a few area lights in order to evenly light the entire scene and to add some highlights on the liquid.

The entire animation is 800 frames long, because I want the cube to slowly fill up with the liquid. When previewing within the render view, it took around 30 seconds to render with not using things as AO, AA, and GI on 720p. I am not going to use these render effects for this particular scene. Whenever I placed the animation in the render queue, my render screen only showed me: "preparing..." and it would go on for 20-30 minutes.

I did some research and found out I needed to bake my textures, objects and animations. I've literally baked and cached every little thing in the scene (maybe I went overboard?) I decreased the polygon count of every asset in the project by 90% and also decreased the quality of the main sphere itself that I used as a particle for the emitter. The regular preview did benefit from the baking. I am even able to preview the entire animation from start to finish, something I was afraid to even try before I knew about baking as the animation would progress with 1 frame per 40 seconds. I even tried to render at the render queue on 640x480. It would not work. I do have a beefy imac (4.2ghz i7, 32gb ram, 8gb amd graphics card) and changed the settings so that C4D is able to use all the power it needs from my system. I even got a free trial at some of the render farms and tried to render my project there, without any result. After two days, it would still not even give me one frame!

I hope someone can help me and show me what I am doing wrong, for the sake of this project and any future project. The thing I would love to have the most is a solution that will help me to succesfully render my project.

PHOTOS:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=131XmEjWW7UJNOJuxLTOUTw8mucXgYhke
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1THjQhm05nksR-AmYQTApoUzoaehk_hvz

Many thanks in advance!

- Jordy

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Project won't render (preparing...) - Tried baking/caching
on Mar 12, 2018 at 11:47:39 pm

Hi Jordy,

If no one responds with a solution I would suggest posting your project file so that others could see all of your settings and try rendering it.

Return to posts index

Jordy Veenstra
on Mar 13, 2018 at 8:39:25 am

Hey Jim

I uploaded the project on my drive. It can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/179UJacOSkKHogxT6AuQx6BRJXxHUzPy3/view?usp=...

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Render experts, please take a look
on Mar 13, 2018 at 8:33:03 pm

See Jordy's file on previous post.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Render experts, please take a look
on Mar 14, 2018 at 6:00:48 pm

I took a look yesterday and am not going to be able to do a good look again until tonight but what was immediately obvious was there are a Camera and 4 lights inside a Polygon Reduction object, I don't know if that will affect anything but it's likely not good practice. Also the Cube (well an editable cube) inside that poly reduction object is already as simple as it can be so the poly reducer is redundant so shouldn't be there.
The other Polygon Reduction object has a Metaball inside it and that also can't be good with the constantly changing number of points in the metaball... I would adjust the settings of the metaball and not have a reducer there at all.
Justin is right the size of the metaball divisions for render at .001 is way too small and no wonder there is a huge render delay. You may want to get the look you want using just the metaball settings in the editor then match the render settings (metaball) to that

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on Mar 14, 2018 at 2:37:39 pm

Seems to just be a memory issue, render subdivision is set to "0"!!! With the the emitter Birthrate @172 with a life time of "832.33 F" not sure I would like to do the math. You may want to take some more time to optimize the scene.

Check out the numbers on only 2 and then 3 meta balls with the subdivision set to "0.5"

Also have a look at all the extra poly's below the box, had to adjust the clipping just to see them.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 16, 2018 at 12:30:01 am

Keep in mind too that the metablobs don't have to be crazy smooth as a mesh to look smooth in the render. Just adjust a phong tag to a higher or lower number to get the smoothness you are after. With the correct angle setting even a cube can approximate a smooth sphere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]