MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Dangling limbs

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Bruzek
Dangling limbs
on Mar 12, 2018 at 12:28:46 pm

I've set up a puppet on a popsicle stick. I'm looking to make his limbs dangle and wave around like they are loose cloth and just pinned to the body, if that makes sense.

12245_dude.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Dangling limbs
on Mar 12, 2018 at 3:53:31 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Mar 12, 2018 at 5:06:51 pm

Using Cloth tags on the limbs, as well as Belt tags to attach them to the body, should give you what you want.

For example:
12247_clothexample.c4d.zip

Edit: You will also need Cloth Collider tags on anything that the cloth objects might collide with.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Mar 13, 2018 at 12:15:33 am

Just for fun I modified your dude slightly to give him shoulders, added cloth and belt tags to the arms, a cloth collider tag to the body, and hid the legs for simplicity. I gave it a simple animation to get the cloth moving so you can see if this is the look you're going for.

12248_dudewithcloth.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Nick Bruzek
on Mar 13, 2018 at 1:02:01 pm

Yes! This is exactly what I was going for! Thanks man! Now I just have to learn about how those tags work, thinking about it, I don't think I've actually used the belt before

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Mar 13, 2018 at 4:19:36 pm

The cloth belt tag is fairly simple. To attach cloth arms to a body as I did in my sample project:

1) move the arm into position and add the cloth and belt tags to the arm
2) drag the body into the "Belt on" window of the tag's attributes
3) put the body in X-ray mode (Attributes > Basic) so you can see the arm inside
4) select the points on the arm that are inside the body (which must be editable), and then click "Set."

Alternatively, you could select the points on the arm and then move it into position, add the tags, etc. Just remember that you can't move an object with a cloth tag on it as it is a dynamics tag. Also, make sure to give your cloth objects lots of subdivisions, either before making them editable, or by placing them in a subdivision surface after doing so.

Have fun.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]