MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Boole and texturing issue, any advice?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hendrikson
Boole and texturing issue, any advice?
on Feb 28, 2018 at 12:05:23 pm

Hi there,

For a client, I need to make animations that are rendered specifically in 48 cross sections. However the cross sections should show a solid surface when sliced, I'm using the Bool tool for this combined with a cloner that slices the desired object in 48 pieces. The problem is that this results into 48 cloned 'sheets' of which the texture is revealed by the object moving through it. I know solid objects are not possible to make but are there other ways to create something similar.

What I need is, for example, a ball with a marble texture that shows veins of the marble when sliced in half (or in this case on each of the 48 slices). I'm attaching a file with it that explains it better.

Thanks in advance,

Thom

12210_boole.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
Re: Boole and texturing issue, any advice?
on Feb 28, 2018 at 2:32:52 pm

The example attached seems to do what you want.

Return to posts index

Thomas Hendrikson
on Feb 28, 2018 at 3:37:29 pm

No actually in the attachment the texture as seen on the 'inside' of the ball (so not the rim) is texture applied to the cube, child of the cloner.

I'm attaching a video that shows the 'error'. Here the outside of the ball is green, the ball moves from the back to the front in a downward motion.

12211_b9.mov.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 28, 2018 at 3:43:53 pm

I think the problem is that you are using the ancient Mabel shader (one of the old SLA set) which doesn't have a control for World space for the noise so every slice is getting the same pattern so you don't see what you want. You need a noise that can be set to World space like this

12212_worldspacenoise.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Thomas Hendrikson
on Feb 28, 2018 at 4:26:06 pm

Great Brian thanks, this helps a lot!

2 more questions:
1. Is there a way to stop the noise from moving?
2. What about custom textures, would that work too? For example: a face and the boole showing the brains etc

12213_boole1.mov.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 28, 2018 at 5:41:09 pm

if you have taken my demo file (which it looks like) the noise is not moving, the sphere is moving through a 3d noise... you can see at the end as the sphere exits the layers the noise appears to be still (which it is) but until then the sphere is presenting and ever changing (because it's moving) surface to the noise so the noise 'moves' on the surface

There are controls in the noise for movement but they are all zero (Movement and Speed) and there is an a animation control (Time Scale) in the Distorter but that is at zero too.

Here's an example with the same settings (though I did change the Projection of the textures to UVW) but with gaps in the layers to better show the noise isn't moving

12215_worldspacenoise2.c4d.zip

But if you are going to move the sphere through the layers and not actually see the layers why not just use one cube that encompasses the same volume?

Custom textures would be possible but you would need a different picture for each slice/layer) or you would have to have a head model with complete internal structure

Return to posts index

Thomas Hendrikson
on Feb 28, 2018 at 8:01:25 pm

I need them in layers because I have to render them 48 separately.

You're right about the texture not moving in your demo file, however in the test render I attached in my previous message the noise is moving when the ball moves through space. Is this avoidable?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Mar 1, 2018 at 2:58:53 am
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Mar 1, 2018 at 3:11:53 am

What is it that you are actually looking to do? I think it's something like this with texture holding still on the outside and the boole revealing the structure of the noise 'inside'.

12219_preview.mp4.zip

As you mentioned first the Boole is making what looks to be a solid object but it's really two, so with world space on in the noise if you move the sphere through the layers the sphere texture animates because it's moving through the noise and the texture on the layers doesn't since they are sitting still. You need to do it the other way around (or find a different solution) - move the layers and leave the sphere sitting still. If the camera shot needs to have sphere moving move the camera with the layers so the sphere appears to move. If that's not it then definitely, what is it you are trying to do?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]