MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How to simplify a mesh?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Mesa
How to simplify a mesh?
on Feb 14, 2018 at 4:16:53 pm

Hey guys, Question here.

I have been learning about re-topology recently and it has absolutely changed the way i model and the ease at which i can deal with problems later down the line in my process. given this though, there are some things about the ideal geometry i am looking for that i don't know how to accomplish when it comes to the basics. I have included a photo, where a cylinder meets a block. upon boolean'ing them together, i will pull off the cylinder part and rebuild the cube with the edges left behind. if i extrude the blue edges to where the yellow vertices are (the vertices don't already exist, they are depicted as what i expect to create if i extrude the blue line), then the face on the right side of the photo would have multiple points on one edge, making it an n-gon instead of a 4 sided polygon. how can i extrude the blue line to create the square geometry, without having a line cut with multiple points. i have seen techniques where some people double back the edges to themselves but in this specific situation I'm not sure what to do.

Also, if anyone knows any foundation geometry modeling guides, that would be very helpful. I'm looking for a "when you want to make this type of corner, do this" type of deal.

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
Re: How to simplify a mesh?
on Feb 14, 2018 at 4:29:14 pm

Have you tried checking the "Hide New Edges" box?

Return to posts index

Anthony Mesa
on Feb 14, 2018 at 4:56:04 pm

Well yes, but that is the thing, i don't want any N-gons. I want a mesh with 4 sided faces. also, the face you depict isn't the face I'm worried about. if i extrude the blue line in my photo to create the front face of the "cube", on the sides of the cube, there will be multiple vertices on one edge, making the sides of the "cube" N-gons, which I dont want in my model.

If this is unclear, i can post a video on youtube to explain in more depth.

Return to posts index

Anthony Mesa
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:09:17 pm

I couldnt get my computer to video record, so i cant do that, but here are two pictures of what i am trying to do. in both photos, the selected faces of the mesh are what i want to be one whole face. I know that i can use m ~ n to dissolve them together, but if i do that, there are still 4 points on the face's connecting edge, essentially giving the face 6 points instead of 4, making it a N-gon, which i dont want. i want that side to be 4 sided. I understand to do this properly, i cant extrude all the way like i did in the photos, thus whyi am asking, what do i do instead?

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:24:22 pm

why not keep them as two separate objects?

Return to posts index

Anthony Mesa
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:39:34 pm

I was never formally tought how to model. I model primarily for video/vfx purposes. is it okay to have a model that collides with itself? (given that it is a static mesh)

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:54:16 pm

Yes, of course.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Feb 15, 2018 at 12:03:13 am

Generally the only times you need to be concerned about topology are when you intend to use subdivision surfaces or when you intend to deform the mesh.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]