MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Trying to split object into parts... or polygons, or something... I don't know, I'm so new :(

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ellis Berman
Trying to split object into parts... or polygons, or something... I don't know, I'm so new :(
on Feb 14, 2018 at 4:10:29 pm

Super new to Cinema 4D, so bear with me. :P

I'm working with a .stp file of a car part. From what I read, Cinema 4D doesn't open .stps, so I downloaded FreeCAD to convert the file. I converted it to a .obj. When I import it into C4D, however, the model is just one solid piece. In FreeCAD, I'm able to select and move around various sections of the model, basically take it apart. Why can I not do this in Cinema 4D? Am I exporting it wrong from FreeCAD or is there a Cinema4D setting I'm missing?

My terminology is probably off, but any help would be great.

Let me know anymore info that may be needed. 🐮

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
Re: Trying to split object into parts... or polygons, or something... I don't know, I'm so new :(
on Feb 14, 2018 at 4:37:15 pm

Unless you can export the pieces separately from from the CAD software, you will probably need to "cut out" each piece individually. Duplicate the model, select the polygon for the piece you want > invert selection > repeat.

Or use the model as a reference and model them C4d. Good times.

Return to posts index

Ellis Berman
Re: Trying to split object into parts... or polygons, or something... I don't know, I'm so new :(
on Feb 14, 2018 at 4:58:54 pm

Oh lord. There's about 86 pieces in total, according to FreeCAD. I think I can export each piece separately, but that means I have to put everything back together in C4D, right? With me being a beginner, that sounds super complex.

At this point, I can't even select polygons - the car part is just one massive object. Am I missing a setting or something?

I've attached an image for reference.

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:06:34 pm

Since you are a beginner, this project will give you plenty of opportunities to learn the basics e.g. selecting polygons.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:02:39 pm

you might be exporting wrong from FreeCAD, yes. I don't know it at all but check the output settings and experiment

Return to posts index

Ellis Berman
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:30:30 pm

It doesn't really give me any options - see attached screenshot. Right now, a dialogue box pops up when I select "Unnamed" - the whole car part. When I select everything (SOLID, COMPOUND, COMPOUND001, COMPOUND002, etc) , it exports, but everything is smooshed together when I bring it into C4D.

What do I do? :(

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:34:45 pm

Your images are not attaching. Can you try again?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:42:12 pm

hey Justin, you can always try to click on the poster's name, that takes you to their Activity page where the image link may be (if they did upload but didn't copy paste the link back into the post) or check the Images tab also there

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:57:34 pm

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ellis Berman
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:54:59 pm

Did that work?

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on Feb 14, 2018 at 6:03:57 pm

have you tried only selecting one at a time?

Return to posts index

Ellis Berman
on Feb 14, 2018 at 6:13:13 pm

Yup, I have. I can export them all separately, but there's just so many - kinda nervous about piecing things back together in C4D with me being such a newbie and all. I'm not even sure if I'd know how to move things around. :S

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Feb 15, 2018 at 12:08:55 am

If you can't get the objects to export properly, try this:

1. Select the object and run Mesh>Commands>Optimize. This will weld points that are supposed to be connected. You may need to adjust the Optimize command's tolerance setting which you access by clicking the little gear icon next to the menu entry;

2. With the object still selected, run Mesh>Conversion>Polygon Groups to Objects. That will split the object into individual pieces.

Return to posts index

Ellis Berman
on Feb 16, 2018 at 3:22:17 pm

OMFG!
Adam, you king!
I think option #2 just worked. 😃

Can't thank you enough! I may be back, but for now, that seems to be exactly what needed to be done. 😃

Thank you everyone! Team Creative Cow, you rock!🐮❤

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]