MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How to measure area dimensions on 3D object?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mamuka Kavtelishvili
How to measure area dimensions on 3D object?
on Feb 8, 2018 at 6:35:26 pm
Last Edited By Mamuka Kavtelishvili on Feb 8, 2018 at 6:36:55 pm

Hey guys!
I want to create a video in After Effects and put it on this highlighted area here on a 3D object in Cinema 4D.
Whats the best way to do this?
Or maybe there's a way to export rendered scene with 3D data that will allow me to add video on this object in After Effects?

Thing I'm trying to do is that i want to create LED Timer on a 3D grenade and i want to create it in After Effects but i dont know what size to choose that will be perfect for this highlighted area here.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: How to measure area dimensions on 3D object?
on Feb 9, 2018 at 12:27:18 am

I don't know of any way to get the exact dimensions directly, but here's an ass-backward way to get them:

Use the Edges tool to select all the edges along the top border of your polygon selection. Then run the Mesh>Commands>Edge to Spline command. That will create a spline along the edges and make it a child of your object. Do the same thing for one of the sides of the polygon selection.

Now you have two splines, and fortunately it is possible to measure the length of a spline using Xpresso.

Create an Xpresso tag (doesn't matter what object it goes on) and drag both splines into the editor window. Create Object out ports for both spline nodes. Then create and Xpresso>General>Spline node and add a "Length" out port.
Copy and paste the spline node and then connect the two of them to the spline object nodes.

Finally, create two Result nodes and connect the Length outputs to the Result inputs. That will give you the flattened dimensions, or aspect ratio, of your polygon selection, which you can use to set up your AE comp.

Return to posts index

Mamuka Kavtelishvili
on Feb 11, 2018 at 2:50:02 pm

Thats what i was thinking about.
Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on Feb 9, 2018 at 2:47:39 pm
Last Edited By Justin Thomson on Feb 9, 2018 at 3:01:08 pm

not too many LCD clocks are curved. might be best for you to inset it and place the clock on a plane. This will make more sense visual and allow you to kick out the 3d data of a plane that will mane the AE work easier.

Alternatively you could simply set the selection of the polys and apply the texture to it. Aim for the size you think it should be and then adjust accordingly. It will take less time than trying to measure.

Return to posts index

Mamuka Kavtelishvili
on Feb 11, 2018 at 2:51:07 pm

Yeah but... Client wants it to be curved so... you know... xD
Thank you for reply!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]