MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cogwheels Problem (doesn't rotate, only jittering)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lex Iñosa
Cogwheels Problem (doesn't rotate, only jittering)
on Feb 6, 2018 at 4:18:10 pm

I made a mechanical structure with 3 cogwheels but each one of them has a different design. I placed the motor in the middle cogwheel but the problem is that all of them are having a hard time to rotate, it only jitters, I don't know why. I've been spending hours to solve this issue but no luck. The project file is attached below, I hope someone can help me. Thanks!
12132_gearsproblem.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Cogwheels Problem (doesn't rotate, only jittering)
on Feb 6, 2018 at 7:32:07 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Feb 6, 2018 at 7:33:36 pm

Hi Lex,

I don't work much with motors, but if you temporarily move the fan out of the way the motor set up does work. The two gears will momentarily jam but that can be overcome by adjusting the rotational position of Gear 1 slightly at frame zero. I would suggest redesigning Gear 1 with more and smaller teeth so that only one tooth of Gear 2 will mesh between each one. As it is now, two teeth are barely fitting in-between and causing the initial jam and poor meshing. Once the fan is moved back in place, what seems to be stopping everything is that two of the three prongs on gear 2 are jamming inside the slots in the fan. I think you need to redesign that interconnection as well.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on Feb 7, 2018 at 4:19:20 pm

Adjusting the Friction and Mass of the gear certainly got them "Moving". Something is still off tho, I'd suggest taking a look at the models to see if they are "Meshing".

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 8, 2018 at 12:49:54 pm

The problem is that if you manually rotate the cogwheels, you'll notice that on the lowest point they would intersect.

That collision is whats causing the bounce back with the rotation. You're forcing the hinge down, when it can't go.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]