MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Versioning Source Text in C4D

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nial Nelson-Hopkins
Versioning Source Text in C4D
on Feb 1, 2018 at 12:09:55 am

Does anyone know a good way to "version" Text Splines or Motext in C4D? I work in sports and often create work that becomes a template for other versions. Example, I make a "SCORE" animation, then I 'save as' and may make a "VICTORY!" animation in the same look. But while working with Text Extrusions in C4D, I'm having trouble finding answers on how to version text. I can't find anything!! Am I crazy? I'd love to have multiple motexts taking reference from one text source, rather than having to go change the text for each one.

My ideal goal is this: I'd love to make 3D Text with multiple extrusion layers that is effected by plain effectors, (ie. letters spinning individually) but then have a project where I can easily change the source text if I wanted to version it out....

If anybody could point me in the right direction I would be forever thankful!!!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Versioning Source Text in C4D
on Feb 1, 2018 at 5:00:50 am
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Feb 1, 2018 at 5:01:57 am

You could use the Set Driver/Set Driven XPression.

For your master text spline or Motext, right click on "Text" in its Object attributes > XPressions > Set Driver. And then for each of the other text splines or Motext objects right click on their "Text" attribute > XPressions > Set Driven. An XPresso tag will be added to each of the linked objects, and by changing the text in the master object's text window all the others will be changed as well.

You could then add a HUD in the viewport to the master text by again right clicking on "Text" > Add to HUD. And then when you select your master text in the object menu the HUD will appear and you can double click on it and change your text. By right clicking on the HUD in the viewport you can also choose when to "Show" the HUD (it is set to Object Active by default).

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Feb 1, 2018 at 4:08:36 pm

For some reason my brain wasn't working quite right last night. While my previous answer will certainly work, I think the easiest way to do what you want is to use instances of your text spline or Motext. With the text object (Motext or spline) selected add an instance and then just duplicate it. By changing the text in the original text object all the instances will change as well.

Return to posts index

Nial Nelson-Hopkins
on Feb 1, 2018 at 5:21:07 pm

Nice good call!! Thank you Jim. The instances idea does sound easier, but I'm also intrigued by the possibilities of using Xpresso. I will play around with these options

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]