MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Rounded bevel for text

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Héctor Moreno
Rounded bevel for text
on May 23, 2017 at 2:52:07 pm

Hi all,

I've been trying to emulate the style of the Game of Thrones metal logo (see picture below) but I can't seem to get it right. My question is: how can I make this bevel text so that it seems to be rounded instead of having sharp edges?

I've tried extruding the text, giving it caps, but none of the options seem to work, and also the problem is that if I use the constraint option, the text gets distorted (left) but if I don't, it becomes way too big (right):

Can it be done in Cinema 4D?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Rounded bevel for text
on May 23, 2017 at 5:27:36 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on May 23, 2017 at 5:31:24 pm

To round the edges increase the "Steps" in the Caps attributes of the Extrude object or Mograph Text object. For the exact look of the Game of Thrones text, however, I think it needs to be modeled. Here's link for a video done by Silverwing which includes a link to download his "Empire Rome" alphabet. Click on "vimeo" in the image below to go to that page.

Return to posts index

Héctor Moreno
on May 23, 2017 at 5:45:08 pm

Thanks, that looks great, actually!

The thing is, I am only trying to achieve the effect, but not necessarily on the same font as GoT. This is why I asked, because I wanted to know if there was a way of creating this rounded metallic text (on whatever font I wanted). But I think you indirectly answered me, telling me that this would have to be modeled.

When I increase the caps and the steps, the errors I showed on the images happen, and there is another thing that happens as well when the numbers are big: the letters turn into "balloons". I've been trying all day but I believe the only option would be to model the letters by myself...

Anyway, thank you, I'll try my best, even though I'm just starting in Cinema4D and I've never modeled text before!

Return to posts index

Adam Svensson
on Nov 16, 2018 at 12:00:31 pm

It is very common to use a 2D bevel effect to create logos for video animations. You then just type the 2D text with any font you like and then apply a bevel filter to that image. You can for example use a filter plugin like the Genifect OpenFX bevel. This is however more of a compositing thing that you do directly in compositing programs like Nuke, DaVinci Resolve and Natron to name a few popular compositing software applications. You could of course do the beveling in Photoshop also but when working with video you normally want to animate the filter parameters to create more spectacular lighting and glow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]