MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Dynamics question

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Morton
Dynamics question
on May 18, 2017 at 4:28:51 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to set up a stack of objects... say, like planks... that will shuffle down when one in the middle of the stack is removed. So if there are 6 or 8 planks randomly stacked and you remove a plank from the middle, the others kind of fall in to take it's place. I'm having trouble figuring this out in the dynamics tab. Any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Dynamics question
on May 18, 2017 at 8:30:21 pm

When dynamics is enabled it takes over control -- meaning you can't have dynamics enabled on a plank AND keyframe it to move out of the way. In order to do what you want you need the dynamics to be disabled until the moving plank clears the stack. Make a keyframe with "Enable" unchecked in the Dynamics tags of the upper planks and the moving plank at the point where the moving plank clears the stack (select all of the Dynamics tags to add a keyframe for all at once), and then one frame later keyframe it to be enabled.

For example: 11374_planksdynamics.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Rick Morton
on May 18, 2017 at 8:44:59 pm

Thanks. Sounds complicated, but I'm going to look at your example and give it a try!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 18, 2017 at 9:00:32 pm

another possibility (haven't looked at your file yet but just thinking out loud) is to let the stack settle then turn off the dynamic tag for the one you want to move (turning it into a Collider object) then it could be animated out and the others would drop accordingly. Requires separate planks each with it's own dynamics tag but if the numbers really are small it wouldn't be too bad

Return to posts index

Rick Morton
on May 18, 2017 at 9:37:57 pm

Hmmmm. Not working for me. When I turn on the Rigid tag, I can no longer move the plank to take it out of the stack. ??? I know I'm doing something wrong - I keep looking at your example - but can't figure it out.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on May 18, 2017 at 9:49:20 pm

You need to have the dynamics disabled (uncheck "enable") in order to move the plank using position keyframes. Once its movement is complete, enable dynamics again by keyframing "enable." As mentioned in my previous post, you need to make a keyframe with "enable" unchecked at a point in time after where you intend to stop moving the plank (in other words, where you stop keyframing its position), and then another keyframe with "enable" checked to again have dynamics take over control.

I have to go to an appointment now, but let me know if you can't figure it out and I will give you step by step instructions later.

Have fun.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on May 19, 2017 at 12:56:37 am

Good thinking Brian. Your way is better.

Rick, here's another example using Brian's suggestion:

11375_planksdynamics2.c4d.zip

Here's how I set it up:
1) Create all of your planks with Rigid body tags and a Floor with a Collider body tag.
2) Move the planks vertically to separate them.
3) Press play to run the dynamics.
4) Once they fall into place, stop the animation, and with all of the plank's tags selected click on "Set Initial State."
4) Return to frame zero.
5) For the plank to be moved laterally (cube.1 in my example) set Dynamic to "Off" to make it a Collider Body.
6) With the above plank selected, move the timeline indicator to the point in time when you would like the plank to start moving and click on the "Record Active Objects" icon (the keyframe symbol within the circle, or F9) to create a position keyframe.
7) Move the timeline indicator to the point in time when you would like the plank to stop, move the plank out of the stack, and create another keyframe.

When you play the animation the plank will slide out of the stack and the other planks will drop down.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 19, 2017 at 2:50:01 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on May 19, 2017 at 2:51:08 pm

Thanks for building that Jim

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on May 19, 2017 at 3:22:30 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on May 19, 2017 at 3:29:07 pm

My pleasure, Brian. Thanks for all the great input to this forum.

Edit: I hope I didn't step on any toes by providing an example of your suggestion. Since I gave him my own earlier and had promised more help if he needed it, I thought I should update the project using your better method. ;)

Return to posts index

Rick Morton
on May 19, 2017 at 6:30:16 pm

Thanks.
I'm going to try to get back to this today. Have REAL work to do first. ☺ Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Rick Morton
on May 22, 2017 at 6:23:22 pm

Ok... I know this is really dumb. But I'm trying to figure out the easy, correct way to make a simple, iron-like angle piece. I've included a snap of the shape. I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried making a spline of the shape, which is what I did here, and extruded it, but there's no thickness. I tried a cube with polygons and tried to extrude the top ones but that didn't work. I know this is really easy to do. I'm just stumped. The perspective example is just 4 cubes stuck together. Not right, I know.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on May 23, 2017 at 5:20:12 am

One quick and easy way is to sweep a rectangle along a spline:

11386_angleiron.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Rick Morton
on May 23, 2017 at 1:20:19 pm

Yup. I finally did that. I tried that first but must have done something wrong because I couldn't get any thickness. I tried it again and it worked fine. Thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

Din Iulian Silviu
on Oct 9, 2018 at 11:11:10 am

Hi.
I am trying to create a scene with dynamics objects. I encounter an error at dynamics.
I do not understand why after the first 100 frames, the keyframes does not still work, if I move the keyframe at start the animation it is working, if I move the keyframes after 70-80 frame, does not work...

I attached here an example with what I do not understand:

12778_example.c4d.zip

How can I fix that?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 10, 2018 at 1:13:31 am

a quick look and I can't see what it is but just deleting the collider tag on cube.1 and the rigid body tag on cube in the f100 null and just reapplied them and it appears to work just fine

Return to posts index

Din Iulian Silviu
on Oct 10, 2018 at 7:15:19 am

I do not know how to explain, but I uploaded here an example:

So, why the cub hits the other cub if the keyframes are at first frames, if I move the keyframes after the 80-90F, nothing happen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]