Futuristic buildings

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Syed Iqbal
Futuristic buildings
on Oct 16, 2016 at 11:20:02 pm

Hi ,

I am looking for an effect like this.
https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-471649-stock-footage-city-skyline.h...

I am more concerned about the texture of buildings. You will notice that from a distance all buildings have a plain gray texture but when they get close to camera, slightly more detailed stripes like texture pops in. How to achieve this kind of effect.

Also if you could advise on generating a cityscape like this. Greyscale city kit is is very detailed, I am looking for something simple and not too detailed like in this stock video.

Thanks
Syed

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Futuristic buildings
on Oct 17, 2016 at 3:03:12 pm

you could use the Proximal shader (using the camera in the proximal's Object list) to fade Alpha of a texture in (or use it in a layer shader to fade the stripes in)

Return to posts index

Syed Iqbal
on Oct 17, 2016 at 3:36:58 pm

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your response. I will dig into this proximal shader thing which I have not used so far. Your suggestion has at least given me some clue which is a good thing.

Thanks again and I will get back to you in case I need some assistance on the use of this shader.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Syed

Return to posts index

Syed Iqbal
on Oct 30, 2016 at 7:19:02 am

Hello Brian,
I tried to use proximal shader using camera as my proximal shader object because I wanted to reveal the stripe material based on the proximity of my camera in relation to the building objects. My building objects are a simple cubes, nothing fancy just to demonstrate what I am trying to achieve and they are used within a nested clone.

Here is link to my C4D file:
10743_proximalshader.c4d.zip

I hope you will help my pointing out my mistake.

Thanks
Syed

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 30, 2016 at 3:46:05 pm

Here you go - don't know if this is the distance out you want to go...

10745_proximalshader2.c4d.zip

with the proximal as a layer mask it needs to go in between the two shaders it's masking (really it's only masking the bottom shader out close to the source).
The settings in the proximal all make a massive difference - to see what's happening turn off the other two layers (stripes and color) and set the proximal to Normal.
Try different Functions Linear and Smooth seem the best here but Square and Cubic could be good (the others don't make any sense in this application but try them).
Blend mode in here doesn't make much difference as long as it's not Exclusion.
Distance - says % but it's actually units (they keep it % because in polygon radius mode it does mean % - the help says 100% means 100m but that's old and in your case where the scene scale is in centimeters it means 100cm). So your End distance needs to be pretty big.
Intensity will force more whiteness close to the object (camera in this case) but will also shorten the ramp from white to black (which when used as a Layer Mask shortens the blend distance).
Function, Start/End distance, Intensity values are where you are going to get results with this set up, just adjust them until you get the fade you need.

Return to posts index

Syed Iqbal
on Oct 30, 2016 at 3:58:53 pm

Hi Brian,
Thanks a lot for your explanation and C4D file, I really appreciate this.

Regards,
Syed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]