MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Selectively stop object distortion when rigging with a motion capture BVH

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Orchard
Selectively stop object distortion when rigging with a motion capture BVH
on Oct 14, 2016 at 9:57:10 am

So, I'm a noobie but can't seem to figure this out, I'm trying to make a dancing porkchop (don't ask)
I also have eyes rigged to blink using random keyframes.

OK, so next steps are to connect all the porkchop body objects into one object (Male), select the skeleton (BVH) and Male Body and Skin them, then make the skeleton and skin children of the body, select all and bind.

Fine, the body moves with the motion capture data, but the eyes no longer blink and they start distorting with the body.

Now, I've tried not including the eyes and controller when I Connect Objects+Delete the main Male body and then make the eyes a child of the body, but they don't move with the bvh motion.

I'm sure there is an easy way to make something rigid so it won't distort (like armor on a character or even shoes) but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Much less retain the xpresso tag blink control.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Selectively stop object distortion when rigging with a motion capture BVH
on Oct 14, 2016 at 4:06:31 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Oct 14, 2016 at 4:11:48 pm

I don't do a lot of rigging, but when wanting to add body parts (like a round head, for example) to a motion capture file, what I have found that works is to make that part a child of the joint which you would want it to follow. In your case, like adding a head, place the eyes in the position you want them, and then make them a child of the head joint.

Hope this helps.

(By the way, I love the dancing porkchop idea.)

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Oct 14, 2016 at 6:40:29 pm

That's what I would do, too. Or you can have the same effect with a constraint tag. Final option would be to make sure the parts you don't want distorted are 100% weighted to a single joint (in this case the head bone).

Return to posts index

Chris Orchard
on Oct 18, 2016 at 12:47:54 am

Yay! That worked, thanks Jim and Adam!

Now I just need to figure out why the entire pork chop texture and distortion are doing odd things (per the attached).
10692_porkchopsall.20161016editora.mov.zip

As I am a newbie, can you see what I've done wrong or point me at any related tutorials that may make me a better basic modeler/rigger for bvh files in general?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Oct 19, 2016 at 1:37:19 am
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Oct 19, 2016 at 1:41:04 am

I'm glad you got it worked out. Unfortunately, as I said, I don't much rigging (if any), so I can't help you out there. I have tried to find good tutorials myself on easily adding motion capture files to already rigged characters, but have come up short so far. From what I can glean, good character rigging is as much art as science and is not an easy process. Since I haven't needed to do it I haven't forced myself to learn it. Maybe some day.

Good luck. And again, the dancing porkchop is great. I hope you can workout the distortion issues.

(BTW... if you want to share the project file here, I would be glad to experiment with it and let you know if I can find a way to solve those issues.)

Return to posts index

Chris Orchard
on Oct 19, 2016 at 3:02:17 am

Sure, why not Jim, you can find the project file as it sits here:
Porky
Thanks for the interest!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Oct 19, 2016 at 3:09:09 am

Thanks for sharing. I'll get back to you after I have had a chance to play around with it.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Oct 19, 2016 at 3:01:39 pm

Now that I've looked over your project I am reminded just how little I know about rigging - specifically the effects of weighting. In other words, don't expect much of a response from me. ?

If I am able to make any headway, I'll get back to you later. Again, good luck with your project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]