MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Extruding with disc

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason BrownExtruding with disc
by on Oct 2, 2016 at 11:24:09 am

I'm trying to model a vinyl record which should be pretty straight forward (at least how I understand in my head).

So I'm trying to create the little ridges at the centre of the vinyl but when I'm extruding these sections down it's pulling the other polygons with it giving a smooth ridge.

I want a sharp edge/ridge. Is this just how disc objects work in cinema because of how the polygons are set up? I tried creating individual discs but I couldn't figure out how to connect them together.

I'm making this way more complicated than it is. I know this is a very basic question and I have watched a number of beginner tutorials on C4D I just prefer to jump into the program and make mistakes as I go.

If someone could point out where I'm going wrong here it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Extruding with disc
by on Oct 2, 2016 at 9:35:55 pm

you need to select the polys in the centre and use the Extrude tool not the Move tool with the edges. The move tool doesn't make any new geometry so all you will be doing with it is moving that circle of edges and the polys connected to those edges will move with them.

Return to posts index

Jason BrownRe: Extruding with disc
by on Oct 3, 2016 at 5:36:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did what you said however when I extrude downwards it was leaving a cap the on the extrude segments so the the extrude isn't visible from the top.

See from this pic

I'm no longer going to extrude the model though as it's so minimal on a vinyl I doubt it would be visible, although I'd be curious as to the reason for this issue for future reference.

I do have another problem... I'm trying to select this inner circle to delete out, as you can see I've created the extrude but when I go to select it (with loop selection and the selection tool radius down to 1) it bypasses the geometry line and selects more polygons than I want, how do I fix this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Extruding with disc
by on Oct 3, 2016 at 5:51:24 pm

[Jason Brown] "although I'd be curious as to the reason for this issue for future reference."

the Extrude tool will only add caps if 'Create Caps' is checked and your screen grab shows that it is not checked so the only thing I can think of is that you have duplicate geometry occupying the same physical space (which is possible to accidentally create particularly for a beginner). Try the tool on a new object just to test (disk, sphere etc make it editable select a few polygons and extrude). It should work easily so something odd like duplicate geometry must be going on with your record.

[Jason Brown] "it bypasses the geometry line and selects more polygons than I want, how do I fix this?"

further suspicion that you have duplicate geometry, it should not do that with the tool settings you have in the image.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]