MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Wavy striped material

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Baard KolstadWavy striped material
by on Sep 28, 2016 at 10:09:24 pm

I'm trying to replicate this in Cinema:

What I have tried so far is creating a pattern tile in illustrator out of wavy lines and using that image in a luminance material. I tried adjusting the different settings of the material aswell, but it doesnt seem to produce the same result as this image.

This is a screenshot of what I was able to create in Cinema:

So as you can see the path of the lines are not at all as smooth as the reference. The more detailed of an explanation the better!

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Wavy striped material
by on Sep 28, 2016 at 10:58:01 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Sep 28, 2016 at 11:04:27 pm

If you are trying to use the illustrator file as an extrusion in C4D check-out the free CV-Artsmart plugin:

If you're just trying to apply that image on a disc as a material you can load the image as a texture in the color channel and adjust the texture tag's Length U and V, and the Offset U and V to fill in the disc.

Here's the project file:

You'll need to load your png file into that texture channel.

Return to posts index

Baard KolstadRe: Wavy striped material
by on Sep 29, 2016 at 7:18:28 am

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. What I'm actually trying to do is creating a sphere with a wavy striped material that looks exactly like the reference seen from a certain angle.

But thanks for the Artsmart plugin, looks like a neat plugin for future projects!

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Wavy striped material
by on Sep 29, 2016 at 6:46:53 pm

It would seem that you would need to paint an undulating texture onto a UV map in BodyPaint3D in order to get a sphere that could be rotated and viewed from multiple angles and have this image displayed (if it is even possible). I did some experimenting and found that I could create the image below of a sphere which has a black/white gradient with Interpolation set to None, and the Type set to 2D-Diagonal applied to it. As you alluded to, the image only works from a certain angle, which required that I pivot and rotate the sphere and adjust the Angle of the applied gradient. I have included a link to the project file for you to peruse. I hope this is helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved