MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Transparency, absorption distance, and coloured shadows

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mateo MazziniTransparency, absorption distance, and coloured shadows
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 3:17:57 pm

Hi, I have this scene where I've created some buttons whose top part is made of a plastic, coloured but semi transparent material. in order to look good, I had to tint the material with absorption color. The thing is, this property tints the shadows too much. Is there any way to tell cinema you don't want the shadows tinted at all?
thank you.

Matz

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Transparency, absorption distance, and coloured shadows
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 5:11:13 pm

in Standard renderer shadow color is affected by Transparency color not Absorption color, in Physical it's a combination of both. the Color Channel (if you are using it) doesn't affect shadow color at all. So it's a balancing act between the three places to enter color values. Depends on the renderer you are using

Return to posts index

Mateo MazziniRe: Transparency, absorption distance, and coloured shadows
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 6:29:09 pm

I'm using the physical render in this case, the thing is, in order to achieve the look I need to use absorption color and some color in color channel, I'll attach a project file with these lights so you can see what I am trying to accomplish(https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hrpjac58t8jbnd/TEST.c4d?dl=1).
The lights are turning on in this timeline, and I like the look when they are on, but when they are off I think they shadow should be just grey. is there no other way than tweaking the materials?

Thank you.

Matz

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Transparency, absorption distance, and coloured shadows
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 9:16:13 pm

a lot going on there...
the main light casting the shadows now should always get colored shadows since it's light is passing through the buttons i.e. I don't think the shadows should be grey (the bottoms yes, as they are not transparent but the tops absolutely).
The lights in the buttons don't have shadows activated so they can't add to the shadow color and since they don't have shadows enabled, part of the color around each button is the light cast from them that is not being stopped or coloured by the button parts.
I'd start by turning on the shadows for those lights and increasing their radius/decay so they interact with the scene like they should - maybe try that with the main light off, get something you like the look of with only button light then turn on the main light and adjust

Return to posts index

Mateo MazziniRe: Transparency, absorption distance, and coloured shadows
by on Sep 23, 2016 at 3:46:28 pm

Thank you for your response! turning the shadows on for the button lights really changes the way they interact, it is very interesting. you are correct about the tint on the shadow from the transparent part of the buttons. although this is for a client which doesn't want that. So I guess I´ll do a different material for the buttons when they are off, and then combine the renders as I like how they look turned off right now.
Thanks a lot.

Matz.

Matz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]