MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Lights and shadows

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Petter Høyer-FjellstadLights and shadows
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 10:24:48 am

Hello, people! I've got a model of some earphones, but I'm kinda struggling with the lighting.

I've set up to rectangles with a luminosity tags and boosted the brightness of them to get the shadows I want.

Now I want an overhead light to pull out some details. Naturally, it follows that the shadows I've worked so hard to get right, disappear.

Is there any way to have it so that a given light (omni light in this case) does not affect the shadows?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Lights and shadows
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 4:59:03 pm

in the Omni light's Project tab you can set the Mode to Include or Exclude objects in the scene. Sounds like you want to exclude the floor but that depends on what your shadows are falling on.

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Lights and shadows
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 5:40:31 pm

What Brian has suggested will definitely work, but only for excluding the omni light's illumination on another object like the floor. If you're trying to maintain internal shadows (inside the ear muffs of the headphones, for example) after adding the omni light to bring out more details on the headphones themselves, you could try increasing the shadow density settings on the lights that are casting those shadows to bring them back to the look you had before the omni was added.

Return to posts index

Petter Høyer-FjellstadRe: Lights and shadows
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 7:24:51 pm

You guys are the best! Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved