MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Clone Objects along Spline while scaling the spline

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flo Fency
Clone Objects along Spline while scaling the spline
on Sep 18, 2016 at 7:46:54 pm

Hi folks,

when I clone an object along a spline and then scale the spline, the cloned object scale with the spline. My goal is to scale the spline while keeping the cloned objects size the same, only using the spline as position reference for the cloned objects.

Does anyone know a way how to do this? I have uploaded my scene.

10587_splineplanken.c4d.zip

I'm on R16 Windows 10.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Clone Objects along Spline while scaling the spline
on Sep 19, 2016 at 1:44:08 am

The clones aren't scaling here. You mean you want to keep the same number of clones as you scale the spline?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Sep 19, 2016 at 3:46:22 am

they do scale if you use the 'scale' User Data on the Controller Null - it's because scale as entered in the Coords is as the Help says
"Modifying the scale of the object using this value equates to scaling in Use Object Axis mode, i.e., the object’s axis system will be modified (see also The difference between the Use Object Tool and Use Model Tool modes)."

If you scale the spline directly with the Object mode (rather than Model mode) it scales the clones too....

I haven't had time to figure out if there is a way around that myself, perhaps you know...

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Sep 19, 2016 at 4:39:07 am

Oh yeah, I see. Seems to work okay if you use a spline effector instead of cloning onto the spline direclty.

Return to posts index

Flo Fency
on Sep 19, 2016 at 7:24:12 am

Using the spline effector to clone the boxes along the spline does exactly what I need. Thank you very much Adam. Didn't even know about this effector.

When I now use my user Data Scale, the spline gets smaller while the number of "planks" decreases via expresso. (I mapped the 0 to 1 scale to da 0 to 22 planks)

Thank you guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]