MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Colorizer problem - Won't take gradient values.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sandra JassoColorizer problem - Won't take gradient values.
by on Sep 1, 2016 at 4:55:56 pm

Hello, I've been searching for this problem and I can't seem to find an answer.

Being new to Cinema, I was messing around with some materials and prefabs. I wanted a smooth gradient color transition (similar to the gradient map in Photoshop) and found that Colorizer did what I needed, but I might've unwillingly done something that changed it.

When using the Colorizer preset on a material, it seems to be only taking the first color of the gradient instead of the whole array. For example, if I have a green to red gradient, it's only taking the green color and applying it uniformly to the whole material. This problem translates to both the viewport visualization and render.

I tried resetting to default on pretty much everywhere in the material and it doesn't seem to work.

As an extra curious bit, when changing the texture to Cel, and then back to Colorizer, the full gradient is shown on the material, but as stepped cel-shaded colors.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Colorizer problem - Won't take gradient values.
by on Sep 1, 2016 at 8:53:39 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Sep 1, 2016 at 9:38:42 pm

Hi Sandra,

The workings of the various Texture windows and Shader Properties is easily confusing, so I hope this will help. When "Colorizer" is selected in the Texture window of the Color channel it remaps the image or shader which is selected in the Texture window in the Shader Properties (your second and third images) with the colors you define in the Gradient section. You need to pick (where your green arrows are pointing) what it is that you are colorizing - an image, gradient, noise, cel, etc., and then set up the colors that are to be remapped to it in the bottom Gradient section. With nothing selected in that Texture window it simply maps the first color in the gradient (black or red in your examples). When you selected "Cel," and then back to "Colorizer," the Cel texture remained as the Texture in the Shader Properties which was then remapped with the colors in the Gradient. To quickly set up a simple gradient on your material just select "Gradient" in the Texture selector of the Color channel, and then adjust the color knots in the Gradient window of the Shader Properties. With "Colorizer" in the Texture window of the Color channel, you could also select "Gradient" in the Texture window of the Shader Properties, which would then remap the colors of the bottom-most Gradient window onto the gradient of the Shader Properties, but that's just adding an unnecessary step.

By the way, excellent use of images to help clarify your questions.

Return to posts index

Sandra JassoRe: Colorizer problem - Won't take gradient values.
by on Sep 8, 2016 at 2:51:16 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the response! Now I understand what Colorizer actually does. I assumed it acted as a Cel with smooth color transitions.

Also, thanks for being so kind in your answer :)

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Colorizer problem - Won't take gradient values.
by on Sep 8, 2016 at 7:01:45 pm

Glad to help. Don't forget C4D's excellent help files whenever you need more info about a particular feature.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]