MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Newbie can't connect objects

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al SmithNewbie can't connect objects
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 4:45:04 pm

I'm trying to connect rocket engines to the main rocket body. This is purposefully a simple rocket, a main body with two engines, one just off to lower left and right. I don't care to use three engines for aesthetics.

I started with creating the main body and rockets by extending a sphere, then stretching and scaling the polygons WITH HyperNurbs already applied. I Then deleted rectangles of polygons both on the main body and the engines. My first try at making the connections was the (create new polygons tool). I thought there would be a problem because the top and bottom of the holes of the deleted polygons were not square, but were rounded off (HyperNurbs was applied) This didn't work, These new polygons were warped and would not cut correctly with the knife.

My second try, I did not apply a HyperNurbs until after all three objects were finished and using the bridge tool to make the connections, this also did not work. After applying a HyperNurbs to a null containing all three objects the new polygons warped with also rounded corners where the new polygons met the rocket body. What am I doing wrong, this should be simple.

Thanks for any help,

Al

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Newbie can't connect objects
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 10:07:09 pm

if you are trying to use a single HNurb you should really be using one object (all 3 of the parts should be one continuous shell). If they are we'd probably have to see the scene file.

Return to posts index

Al SmithRe: Newbie can't connect objects
by on Aug 19, 2016 at 10:28:00 pm

I don't see a button for attachments, I would gladly upload the file. I want to learn this software.

I ended up creating the rocket in Shark FX and imported a dxf. It Worked good!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 19, 2016 at 11:20:31 pm

the button for attachments is the one on the far right (4 right of 'CODE') once you upload a file it gives you a link you have to copy/paste back into your message

Return to posts index

Al SmithRe: Newbie can't connect objects
by on Aug 20, 2016 at 4:35:00 pm

This is quick representation of my problem, I used a cyl here, but I've tried several different primitive types all with the same result after applying a HyperNURBS, warped and opened polygons for my fins.

Zip file: 10445_rocketscene.zip

Image of front view: 10446_capture3.jpg.zip

Image 2: 10447_capture2.jpg.zip

Image 3: 10448_capture1.jpg.zip

Thanks for the help

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2016 at 10:34:47 pm

Using a Subdivision Surface (HyperNurb in R12) is the way to go and keeping the underlying mesh as simple as possible is the way to go.
I made the main body from a cylinder (no caps) with 1 Height Segment - 20 Rotation segments (if the fins need to be thinner use more segments) and spun the body 9° (360/20/2) so the side polys would be pointing directly sideways (at the engines, simpler later on).
Added cuts with the knife in Loop mode, as few cuts as possible, and sized them to make the shape, up near the top more to get the changing slope, fewer in the middle but there *have* to be cuts (with the SubD/HNurb off) at the top and bottom of the connections between the body and engines. The HNurb has to off when making the cuts for the connections because even though the cuts appear to be in different places with it on once you connect the engines and turn the HNurb back on the resulting connection is where it should be.
Copied the body to make one engine, scaled down, made a few changes since the top is shaped differently, copied that to make the other engine then selected the polys on the main body - noticed that would be two polys on the engines and one on the body so went to body and made a cut around the body to make it two polys too (makes the connection better).
Connected all the parts into one mesh (Connect Objects) selected the polys to which would make the connection and did a Bridge between each engine and the body). Then to make the connections more aerodynamic made a cut halfway along the connection and scaled points at the bottom of the resulting loop closer so the bottom of the connection is thinner.

10449_rocket2.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]