MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

DPI problem in C4D ?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raphaël CoppejansDPI problem in C4D ?
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 10:37:15 am

Hello everybody,

I'm pretty sure i'm not the first one to ask for that, but... I didn't find exactly what I want to know.

I'm working with Windows 10 on a UHD screen (3840*2160).

If I put the display size of Windows to 100% the DPI are right on C4D (for a UHD render it fits the all screen) but if I use, for example, Photoshop or Paint (just to try...) I need to put the size to 150% to respect the right DPI. Otherwhise it's underscaled...

Do I realy need to switch the size everytime I switch application, or is it a way to correct that ?

The best for me would be that C4D has a right DPI on 150% as the others programs.

(Some programs as VLC support all size with the right DPI...)

Thank you :)

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: DPI problem in C4D ?
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 3:44:01 pm

You can change the render DPI in the render settings>output section.

Having said that, DPI is a print setting that shouldn't have any effect on a paint program's display resolution, which is based on pixel dimensions.

Return to posts index

Raphaël CoppejansRe: DPI problem in C4D ?
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 4:12:47 pm

Thanks for your answer Adam.

Yes you're right. I'm not talking about the DPI but about the dimensions of the render window itself.

I would say that in Photoshop if I create a 3840*2160 document, it fit exactly to my sreen dimensions.
But with C4D if I render a 3840*2160 scene, it's to big to fit to the screen. So it's upscaled... Just in the render windows of C4D, if I open the renderised file in Photoshop I'ts good.

So what would be great is to have the right proportion in C4D.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2016 at 8:35:19 pm

Are you talking about rendering in the editor window or to the picture viewer? Picture viewer should produce the exact dimensions specified. The editor window is sizable so it can't be exact.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2016 at 10:59:32 pm

Actually the picture viewer doesn't produce the good dimensions. It's scaled to 150%.
I understand it's because i put all the windows interface size to 150% but if I put it to 100%, Photoshop and all the main programs are down-scaled...

Is it possible to change the ratio of the picture viewer ?...

Return to posts index

Josh DekayRe: DPI problem in C4D ?
by on Aug 17, 2016 at 1:38:59 am

Greetings,

C4D will render exact pixel dimensions. For instance, if you specify 1920 x 1080 in your render settings and you use the C4D save functions, you will acquire an image that is exactly 1920 x 1080. Try to make sure you're using the save functions and that your OS itself has not been zoomed in/out.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 17, 2016 at 11:19:25 am

Hi Josh,

Yes, I'm using the save functions and the OS itself is zoomed to 150% as I said. Because if I put it to 100% all the others programs are underscaled.... So it look that in Windows 10 and with a UHD screen 150% is the standard dimensions (?)...

The result of C4D is good, I have the file with right dimensions after renderisation. But the picture viewer of C4D gives something overscaled...

So... when I use C4D I have to put Windows to 100% size, and when I'm using Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator and much more I have to put it to 150%... Very an annoying....
Or... each time I've renderised something I have to open it with, for example, Photoshop to have the good dimensions... Also annoying...

Anyway, it looks UHD is still not really the perfect display to make edition...

Return to posts index

by on Aug 17, 2016 at 1:27:46 pm

There are two possibilities:

1. There is something wrong with your C4D installation; or
2. You are doing something wrong.

Are you using render presets -- found in the lower-left corner of the render settings? If so, make sure the icon to the left of your setting is active (white). It's possible to click on a setting and see its properties, but that setting won't actually be used in the render unless the icon to its active (icon to left is white).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]