MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Engraved money effect

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie MullinsEngraved money effect
by on Aug 2, 2016 at 10:36:36 pm

I'm wondering if there's a relatively easy way to make an etched/engraved money effect on 3d? Something that looks like this:

So far my plan would be to run an action in photoshop for each frame of the animation, and then animate it in After Effects. But that would take there an easier/better way to achieve this effect on 3d animation?

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Engraved money effect
by on Aug 3, 2016 at 3:41:16 pm

I can't think of a good way to do it in 3D. Couldn't you do it as a batch process in PS?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Engraved money effect
by on Aug 3, 2016 at 5:15:51 pm

do you want just the model's face (like in the example image) or do you want the entire image to have the etching like the results of the tutorial? It should be possible to texture the 3d elements of a scene like that in C4D but if you want the entire finished image (the areas to the left and right of the models face in the example image) to have the etching it would have to be done in post.

Return to posts index

Julie MullinsRe: Engraved money effect
by on Aug 3, 2016 at 10:54:13 pm

Just found out that this portion of the project got canned, but I'm still curious as to how to best do it. It would have been of a golf ball rolling into a hole (in etching style), and then I would put that on top of parchment paper jpeg in AE. So I would not want any "background" to look etched.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Engraved money effect
by on Aug 4, 2016 at 1:53:08 am

I do not know if this is the "best" way it's just what seemed easiest to control in a quick trial at the time. The Tiles inside the main color layer are pretty easy compared to a image generated in PS... controlling where each tile channel cuts off with the Falloff used as a Layer Mask and just adjusting the falloff gradient a bit for each. Falloff is pointed in Z and that's where there is an Infinite light to give an even light from that direction. The Material tag is currently set to Frontal which gives a pretty good look but follows the camera and an animating object like the golf ball would roll 'through' the etching. It can also be set to Flat which would not have the texture lines follow the camera but the golf ball would still roll through it...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved