Spline projection issues

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cabestany
Spline projection issues
on Jul 29, 2016 at 10:16:08 pm

Hello all,

Trying to project a spline onto an object, like this:

I tried using the front view and "view" mode on the projection tool, but it does not work.
Then I tried each of the other modes, XY plane, YZ plane, etc. All of them gave me weird results.

How can I have the text spline to project as it's supposed to?

Thanks in advance.
D.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Spline projection issues
on Jul 29, 2016 at 11:31:05 pm

Hard to say for sure without the scene file but my guess is that your spline doesn't have enough points to project properly. Make the text editable if it isn't already and then go into points mode to see what it looks like. Keep in mind that the projection command won't create any additional points, so if there aren't many there you'll need to use the subdivide command or the knife tool to create more.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jul 30, 2016 at 1:39:06 pm

Hey Adam,

I converted it to an editable spline, otherwise it wouldn't allow the use of the project tool.
I copied both elements into a new project and still wouldn't work, so I created a new cylinder, made it editable and deformed it to match the curvature of the original object. Then I hid the original and projected the spline onto the new cylinder; then worked correctly. I used xy plane projection. After that I deleted the cylinder and unhid my original shape.

I'm still not sure what was wrong with the first object, but the problem laid with that, not the spline, maybe because it was triangulated? Very weird.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

D.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 30, 2016 at 4:10:19 pm

Hard to say. Is it possible the normals were reversed on the original object?

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Aug 5, 2016 at 3:09:36 pm

No idea, forgot to check that. But I no longer have it. I deleted the original polygon and replaced it with the one I created of the cylinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]