MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Can this obj be fixed?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris CraigCan this obj be fixed?
by on Jul 27, 2016 at 12:23:18 pm

Hi all

I have a model which was created in Solidworks and then converted into an obj file for me to texture and render in C4D. I have observed that the model has a number of slight issues with it and it does not appear smooth. Im wondering if the areas that have been circled in the below file can be fixed in c4d or if they need to go back to solidworks.

Also, the circle area near the arrow in the image, does not appear to be smooth. Can this be fixed with a subdivision surface?

Im still learning so any help would be great.

Thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Can this obj be fixed?
by on Jul 27, 2016 at 1:35:02 pm

If the object has a normals tag when imported then you're probably going to have to get a better mesh out of SolidWorks. The normals tag is used to provide appropriate smoothing to imported objects when the import format supports it. If it has a normals tag and the object still looks alright when you delete it you may be able to edit the object as well.

Return to posts index

Chris CraigRe: Can this obj be fixed?
by on Jul 27, 2016 at 10:08:23 pm

Thanks for your reply Adam.

There is no Normals tag attached. Only Phong and UVW.

To be honest, I would not really know what to do to fix the model in C4D. Would i be best asking the model creator to give it to me in a higher mesh setting. Ive been told he has done it in Rhino.

Thanks
Chris

Return to posts index

by on Jul 27, 2016 at 10:30:32 pm

Yes, I'd ask him to see if he can give you a better mesh. I'd also ask him to export it as an .obj so it will come in with a normals tag, which will probably iron out some of the shading problems all by itself.

Return to posts index

Chris CraigRe: Can this obj be fixed?
by on Jul 27, 2016 at 10:32:10 pm

Thanks Adam. Will do.

It was an obj file that i asked for. Am i missing something?

I was presented with a number of import options when i opened it. Would these settings help any before i go back to him?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2016 at 3:33:47 pm

When you open or import the object the dialogue has a Normals option where you can choose between skip, vertices, or phong tag. You should use vertices to get a normals tag.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]