MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Starter questions, any tips appreciated

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bur CiStarter questions, any tips appreciated
by on Jul 22, 2016 at 4:55:37 pm

Hey all,

So I'm currently take a stab in the world of cinema 4d but slowly becoming a bit frustrated with my lack of know how. So i'm writing this hoping that you guys can give me a few pointers.

First question

Whenever I am in the middle of work, and in the process need to add new objects I get a bit confused as to why cinema adds those objects somewhere where it takes me time and energy to find it. Is there anyway I can adjust this?

Second, lets say I have two cubes and I move one cube along side the other, perhaps even drag it on top or slide it up and down the other. Is there anyway I can find out where exactly my moving box is on the other object (cube). I guess what I'm trying to say is there anyway I can determine my moving cubes in relation to the other . So if my static cube in 50 cm tall, I can see where my moving cube in relation to my 50 cm tall cube? I hope that made sense.

third,

I have been trying to make two 90 degree bends on a pipe shape. I managed to do this by take two separate pipes at 90 d. and joining them together. Is there a better method to get two bends like this on the same pipe object? I gave it stab but once I tried to bend the second bend, the pipe warped into something that could not form into that 90d that I was looking for. Also, when I joined the two seperate pipes together, I got a copy of it. why??

And lastly,

I have been trying to create a 45 degree mitre joint for a wood render. What is the best way, I'm frustrated that I havent been able to accomplish this with the knife tool yet :(

thanks !!!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Starter questions, any tips appreciated
by on Jul 22, 2016 at 5:53:03 pm

Whenever I am in the middle of work, and in the process need to add new objects I get a bit confused as to why cinema adds those objects somewhere where it takes me time and energy to find it. Is there anyway I can adjust this?

Not sure if you're talking about the insertion point in world space or in the object manager list, but either way you can adjust those options in Preferences>Interface.

Second, lets say I have two cubes and I move one cube along side the other, perhaps even drag it on top or slide it up and down the other. Is there anyway I can find out where exactly my moving box is on the other object (cube). I guess what I'm trying to say is there anyway I can determine my moving cubes in relation to the other . So if my static cube in 50 cm tall, I can see where my moving cube in relation to my 50 cm tall cube? I hope that made sense.

Easiest way would be to turn on one of the "Lines" or wireframe modes in the viewport's Display menu.

I have been trying to make two 90 degree bends on a pipe shape. I managed to do this by take two separate pipes at 90 d. and joining them together. Is there a better method to get two bends like this on the same pipe object? I gave it stab but once I tried to bend the second bend, the pipe warped into something that could not form into that 90d that I was looking for. Also, when I joined the two seperate pipes together, I got a copy of it. why??

I'm not sure what method you're using to bend the pipe. It's certainly possible to use two separate bend deformers on the same object. For example: 10327_twobends.c4d.zip

The file also contains a similar shape created with a swept spline, which may be a better way to go about this depending on your particular scene.

And lastly,

I have been trying to create a 45 degree mitre joint for a wood render. What is the best way, I'm frustrated that I havent been able to accomplish this with the knife tool yet :(

I would use the knife tool in Line mode from one of the parametric viewports (e.g., top, front, right). If you hold down the Shift key when you drag across your object the cut line will be constrained to 45 deg. angles. Or, if you look in the tool's properties, you can change the constraint angle to whatever you prefer.

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Starter questions, any tips appreciated
by on Jul 22, 2016 at 5:59:41 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Jul 22, 2016 at 6:02:33 pm

First answer:

By default, Cinema adds new objects at world center - coordinates 0,0,0. If you want to change that go to Edit>Preferences>Interface and select Create New Objects at View Center.

Second:

To get a better sense of objects in relation to one another open up the four views by clicking the center mouse button (if you have one), or click the square icon in the upper right of the View port. You can then click that same icon in the appropriate view to open it up or ctr. click again in the desired view. Repeat that action to return to four views.

Third and beyond:

If you are trying to teach yourself C4D it will be much easier if you view some online tutorials. Here's a good place to start:

http://greyscalegorilla.com/intro-to-cinema-4d

Have fun.

Edit: I didn't see Adam's answer until after I finished writing mine. But anyway, here it is.

Return to posts index

Bur CiRe: Starter questions, any tips appreciated
by on Jul 22, 2016 at 6:07:17 pm

Thanks both Adam and Scott for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]