MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Motext in X-Particles

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Roman
Motext in X-Particles
on Jul 18, 2016 at 6:10:44 pm

Hey all. I recently purchased an x-particles 3.5 license - amazing plugin. I'm working on a project where text is supposed to flow out of a cellphone screen and into an undulating cloud of text. I've been scouring the internet for any tutorials on how to convert the default particles into text and can't seem to find any examples other than the default spheres. My question is - is it possible to emit letters from the x particles emitter and also morph the particles from letters into any other type of shape? I'm not referring to the particles taking the shape or forming a letter or word but the actual individual particles themselves being letters. I know this is all possible using xPresso and thinking particles however that is beyond my capabilities and the attraction to purchasing x-particles is because it helps the not-so-smart Joes like myself pull off amazing graphics. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Motext in X-Particles
on Jul 18, 2016 at 7:57:31 pm

To emit any objects as particles (including Motext) make them children of the xpGenerator object and refer to the Morphing Generated Objects description in the X-Particles help:

file:///Applications/MAXON/CINEMA%204D%20R17/plugins/X-Particles/manual/html/morphing_objects.htm

Notice a very important criteria: "the initial object and all the morph targets MUST have the same vertex count. They cannot differ, not even by 1 vertex. If they do, no morphing will occur"

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 19, 2016 at 3:28:41 pm

Here's the X-Particles video tutorial for morphing particles:

http://manual.x-particles.com/modifiers/geometry-modifiers/xpmorph/

Return to posts index

Christian Roman
on Jul 22, 2016 at 3:17:37 pm

Thanks so much! I didn't know these video manuals existed. I have been watching them nonstop and they have been a huge help. Can't thank you enough for pointing me in the right direction. I have two options now - I can go with mograph and child it to an xp generator or I can use xpsrite to generate the text. If I go with sprite which seems to be the better of the two choices is there a way to assign different colors to the emitted text. So some come out blue, while others red and green. Without using a gradient and having duplicate sprites?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 22, 2016 at 3:59:34 pm

Yes, the X-Particles video manual is a phenomenal source of information. Concerning assigning different colors to the emitted text using sprites, refer to the tutorial for the xpSpriteShader: Create a material and dbl. click to open its properties - choose Texture>X-Particles>xpSpriteShader, twirl down "Texture" or click on the colored square to open the Shader, and change Mode to Random Color. Apply the material to the xpSprite and drag the xpEmitter to the "Emitter" window of the Shader Properties.

Return to posts index

Christian Roman
on Aug 2, 2016 at 5:41:45 pm

I learned so much from watching the videos. However, there are some issues with fine tuning that the videos do not go that far into depth on. I have attached my project file. The original concept is to have a bunch of 0's and 1's leave a cell phone screen, float up and form an undulating cloud. The cloud then starts to spin fast and faster until it releases the text and as the text falls down it morphs into these horizontal lines. I have gotten to the point where the text floats up and forms the cloud. I have also figured out the morph to the horizontal lines portion. The problem I'm having is in the ramped spinning portion until the text flies out to the morphing section. The text seems to want to clump up and not keep a circle shape and then slows down significantly after it falls from the cloud. How do I keep the text spinning and ramping up faster and faster until it shoots out to the morphing phase? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you for all of your help so far.

10361_textingcloud.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Aug 3, 2016 at 3:27:07 pm

I'm glad that I could point you in the right direction with the videos, but as I am no expert with X-Particles I'm not sure I can help but will be glad to try. Please correct me if I am wrong, but from your last question it seems that you are not happy with the results following the effect of the flock -> land Change Group Modifier. Is that right? If the particles are not responding as you would like it would be because of the modifiers that are being applied to that new group. Use whatever modifiers you need, and animate their properties, in order to control the particles while they are assigned to that group. If I am misunderstanding your question please point to the frame range in your project that you are having difficulty with.

Though I only use X-Particles sporadically, I have had fairly quick responses to any technical questions by contacting Insydium support through their web site. There is also a forum on their site, but I'm not sure how active and helpful the responders are since I have never posted there.

Return to posts index

Christian Roman
on Aug 4, 2016 at 3:59:43 pm

Everything works according to plan really until from 500 to the end. At frame 500 the rate modifier kicks in and is supposed to rate the text round and round and get faster as time goes on. However the text instead of spinning as if in a tornado vortex lines up in almost a straight line and rotates. I like the rotating but would like them to be more spread out. then at from 800, the last modifier is supposed to make the text drop down until it morphs into horizontal lines. however the modifier slows the spinning down and doesn't keep the speed constant. I would like it the text to kind of explode outward - the idea being the spinning gets so fast and comes to a point where it just explodes but I can't have the text flying upward off screen, it needs to fall down and morph to the lines. Thanks for the heads up about the x-particles forum. I will reach out to those guys too and see if they can assist. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Aug 4, 2016 at 10:50:24 pm

I've been experimenting with other modifiers (Vortex, ie.) but haven't been able to get the spinning effect you're looking for. If I come up with something I'll let you know.

Here's a control and motion modifier reference I ran across that might be handy:

Good luck with the project. Wish I could be more help.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Aug 6, 2016 at 3:42:37 pm

the rate modifier that kicks in at 500 (530) seems to be 'xpRotater.1' which does have a rate multiplier increasing but the group it's affecting is the LINES group which doesn't have any particles in it until ~790 when the flock->land group changer goes by.
The other 'xpRotater ' does affect the RETURN group but does not increase the speed of rotation.

As for explosion, you could lower the Escape Velocity in the rotator but you would also have to turn off (or lower the force) of SPHERE_ATTRACTOR.2 which has the particles until they get shifted to the LINES group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]