MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Shadow On Transparent Background After Rendering

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William McclumphaShadow On Transparent Background After Rendering
by on Jul 15, 2016 at 10:10:49 pm

I'll be honest, this is my first time trying out C4D, so I'm sorry in advance if this is a simple problem to solve, but I've genuinely spent hours now trying to work this out, so hopefully I'm not just missing something really obvious!

Basically, I've made this simple little logo and I'm trying to render it without a background by turning on alpha channel in the render settings. Any time I check the exported file though, it has this slight shadow in the top left of the render. It's not really visible when transparent, but when put against a white background, it's more noticeable.

I'm pretty much just hoping somebody knows how to get rid of this so the background is completely empty. I've tried just cutting the logo out in Photoshop but it ends up looking a bit messy, I'd definitely prefer to just render it without that shadow if at all possible!

I've uploaded an example of the render with the white background enabled here if it helps at all: http://imgur.com/a/WAGvU
Here's how it looks when added to a black background as well: http://imgur.com/bnAetvT

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Shadow On Transparent Background After Rendering
by on Jul 16, 2016 at 3:41:53 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Jul 16, 2016 at 4:17:42 pm

My guess is that your C4D scene has something behind the logo acting as a background. Make sure that your scene has nothing but the logo (or select Visible in Renderer to OFF in the other object's Basic settings if you do have something behind it), and when you render the png file with alpha channel you should have a perfectly cut-out image of it when viewed in Photoshop or AE.

Here is an example of what it should look like in Photoshop:

If this is not the case, post your C4D project file for us to look at.

Return to posts index

William McclumphaRe: Shadow On Transparent Background After Rendering
by on Jul 16, 2016 at 4:34:59 pm

Thanks a lot for the advice, but there doesn't seem to be any background in the scene, so I don't think that's it. I've uploaded the project file, which I've linked below. Hopefully that helps!

Just to make sure I'm explaining it properly, the background of the exported PNG actually looks completely clear when exported with the alpha channel enabled. The shadow/highlight is subtle enough to only really visible when a background is later added in Photoshop below the logo's layer.

Project File Link: 10307_cubedlogo.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Shadow On Transparent Background After Rendering
by on Jul 16, 2016 at 5:11:23 pm

The problem is caused by your volumetric lights. Turn off volumetric effects if you want a clean alpha, or else use an object buffer instead of a scene alpha.

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Shadow On Transparent Background After Rendering
by on Jul 16, 2016 at 5:13:56 pm

Good catch Adam.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2016 at 5:46:54 pm

I've switched the lights from volumetric to visible light, and I've disabled volumetric lighting in the render settings, but the problem is still there. Is there something else that I might be missing? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Shadow On Transparent Background After Rendering
by on Jul 16, 2016 at 8:23:27 pm

Visible is going to cause the same problem: the light is picked up by the alpha. If you want to use visible light the solution is to render out an object buffer and use it as a luma matte to cut out the logo.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2016 at 9:21:50 pm

Thanks a lot, that's it all sorted out now! Really appreciate the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]