MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Few questions about materials and dynamics

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael WoodFew questions about materials and dynamics
by on Jul 10, 2016 at 11:02:49 am

Hi there,

I've recently been looking for a forum to get guidance on various problems I get, this looks like a great place! Im currently working on a low poly 3D city (cliche right haha) I always like to know that I'm doing things the most efficient way so I have 2 questions, and it would be great to get a little advice.

1. For the city I am using a fresnel gradient material in the colour channel, I copy this over to the luminance and tone down the brightness to get softer shading. For the look I'm going for this is the same process for each colour. HOWEVER with a large scene I will end up with a lot of materials that are effectively the same (just different colour). I've looked into multi shader and this is great for foliage or cloning objects to vary them up, but it's not really what Im after. Is there a more efficient way of dealing with varying materials which allows me to alter them all later? (Im thinking maybe Xpresso)

2. I want to make a crane lift objects up using dynamics and put it onto a conveyor belt, is there a way of using dynamics to create these types of animations? Or would it be best to animate it manually? In my head I'm thinking dynamics would make it all look so fluid, but with my current knowledge is that as soon as I add dynamics I completely lose control of the object...Struggling to see a use for me at the moment so don't really want to spend time learning dynamics if they aren't going to help me.

Any advice or point me to some tutorials, even premium courses that could benefit me.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post :(

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Few questions about materials and dynamics
by on Jul 11, 2016 at 3:15:17 am

1. sounds like MultiShader is what you want but since you say it's not... have to see more of the file or images or something

2. it's doable with dynamics but it does take knowledge of what settings (that's just practice) are going to work for friction/bounce/collision noise etc. And as you say once an object is dynamic it's run by dynamics but you can animate stuff by keyframe then switch dynamics on later. You can also turn dynamics off and it will return to it's old position using the Dynamics Transition... and you can blend dynamics and keyframe animation using the Follow Position/Follow Rotation settings in the Force tab.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Few questions about materials and dynamics
by on Jul 11, 2016 at 3:19:48 am

For No. 1, if you have R17 you can use the new Effects>Variation shader if you don't want to use MoGraph.

Return to posts index

Michael WoodRe: Few questions about materials and dynamics
by on Jul 12, 2016 at 5:58:23 pm

Thanks a lot guys!

I've looked into the variation shader and its definitely what I was after. I also used set driver > set driven on the channels so they all matched up when I change one, they all change.

I think they dynamics is something I'll delve into more when I'm a lot more fluent in Cinema.

Many thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved