MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Extract splines from UV tiles or UV mapped material image?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Willard
Extract splines from UV tiles or UV mapped material image?
on Jul 8, 2016 at 8:42:17 am
Last Edited By John Willard on Jul 8, 2016 at 8:48:18 am

Hello, I need to render a product surface which will contain a combination of a UV mapped material with a pattern and modeled objects (stitches), and the problem is how to align them perfectly. Ideally, I want to extract splines from the image pattern in the material color channel the way it's mapped on the product, then use those splines as a path for the stitches. If that is not possible, is there a way to create splines from the square UV tiles to create a spline "grid"? I need the splines to wrap around the product exactly matching the UV mapping.

The geometry is originally NURBS and imported via FBX.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Extract splines from UV tiles or UV mapped material image?
on Jul 8, 2016 at 3:51:24 pm

I don't know of any way to generate splines from a texture ... at least not one mapped to an object. Seems to me the best way to go about this would be to use a displacement map for the stitches.

Return to posts index

John Willard
on Jul 8, 2016 at 4:17:09 pm

What concerns me with displacement mapping is lack of fidelity and realism, each individual stitch should look like a short tube that extends beyond the surface. I ended up using Rhino and manually creating all the curves on the surface matching the UV map and then creating offset curves (used for rail curves in C4D) normal to the surface, then importing that into C4D. The result is good, but takes a huge amount of time. I'll see if it's possible to get similar results with displacement mapped stitches.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 8, 2016 at 6:24:18 pm

Wow, that is a painstaking process.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]