MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Reflections from C4D to AE

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Guardian
Reflections from C4D to AE
on Jul 7, 2016 at 2:13:22 pm

Hi guys,

I working on a shot where I require to add a 3D pin into an AE composition. The pin is been created in C4D using 'Sketch & Toon' for the style. I need to export the pin and the reflection only on alpha channel to load it in my AE composition. I cant figure it out the right export settings, actually I cant even export only the pin on a alpha?
The floor is been added to create the reflection. Not sure if this sounds silly but I haven't used C4D in a very long time and I'm rusty!
Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Reflections from C4D to AE
on Jul 7, 2016 at 4:41:28 pm

1. To isolate your pointer object, give the object a Cinema 4D>Compositing tag. Click on the tag and look in the attributes manager. You'll see a Buffers tab at the top right. Go there and enable Buffer 1;

2. Now go to render settings and click the Multi-Pass button. From the drop down menu select Object Buffer and then Reflection;

3. In the save dialogue, twirl down the Multi-Pass Image settings. Enable "Save" and type in a name (e.g., multiapps).

4. In the Compositing Project File settings enable Save.

When you render all the passes will be created in addition to an .aec file. Assuming you've set up the AE/C4D import plugin, when you open the .aec file in AE you'll get a folder with a composition and another folder with your reflection pass and the object alpha (buffer). You'll use the object buffer as a luma matte to cut out the arrow, and then you'll use the reflection pass in Add mode to composite in the reflection.

Return to posts index

Jonny Guardian
on Jul 8, 2016 at 9:16:35 am

Thanks for the prompt response I will test it right now!

Return to posts index

Jonny Guardian
on Jul 8, 2016 at 10:53:20 am

Unfortunately I dont have the plugin for AE and when I export the pin will be still there?
Is there any way to export just the shadow on a alpha channel?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 8, 2016 at 3:22:37 pm

You should have the plugin in your Maxon>Exchange Plugins>After Effects folder. It's installed with Cinema. It's not necessary, though. You can just import all the passes into AE manually. You can also render out a shadow pass (which gets multiplied over your background). Or you can use the free shadow catcher plugin: link and tutorial here: https://www.thepixellab.net/cinema-4d-free-shadow-catcher-plugin

Return to posts index

Jonny Guardian
on Jul 29, 2016 at 10:44:08 am

I managed to work around this and I was able to do it with the shadow...but now I had to do many tweaks, somehow start from scratch...and I have this 'water drop' that has to come out of a surface.
I got the camera tracked in AE:

Then I created the water drop....and done the movement in C4D. I put a "plane" to recreate the surface in the video.
but the "plane" should NOT be visible....instead I would like only to get the reflections on the place. I've done the workaround described before:

But the "plane" is still visible :(

Would anyone be so kind to give me a heads up on this to get this done? Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated!!

Return to posts index

Jonny Guardian
on Jul 29, 2016 at 11:13:54 am

Actually my bad I didnt express myself properly...I do have the reflection but the plane now since it's invisible allow me to see the drop under it. the drop it's supposed to come out the surface (if that makes sense??)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]