MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How to create reflections/ shadows with mirrors?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Layton
How to create reflections/ shadows with mirrors?
on Jul 6, 2016 at 4:55:40 am

Hello :)

So I'm trying to get my mirrored objects to reflect onto the walls. My lighting set up for C4D is done all by a physical sky as I love the final render. Here is an example of what I'm trying to achieve.

Hopefully someone can help, thanks!!
Jesse

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: How to create reflections/ shadows with mirrors?
on Jul 6, 2016 at 1:09:34 pm

What you're describing is called reflective caustics in 3D parlance. I don't see a way to enable it for the Sky Object's sun light, but I suppose you could disable the sky's sun and use a separate sun light. You would then need to go the light's Caustics tab and enable reflective caustics. In addition, you would have to add the Caustics effect in render settings.

At the end of the day it may be easier just to fake it. ;-)

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 6, 2016 at 1:14:44 pm

Sorry, should have said "surface" caustics instead of reflective caustics.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 6, 2016 at 4:20:53 pm

here's a simple example of Surface Caustics 10271_simplereflectivecaustics.c4d.zip

As Adam noted you can replace the Sun in Physical Sky with a light of your own but in practice that seems more difficult to get good reflections than the simple example but it is possible (I had best results inserting a Sun Light into Physical Sky/Sun/Custom Sun Object but it still was less effective than the example)

Return to posts index

Jesse Layton
on Jul 13, 2016 at 2:23:59 pm

thank you both for your tips, they worked a treat, however I feel like it will be easier in the end to fake it on Photoshop lol.. and thanks for the example!! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]