MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Ae User dabbling in C4D ... Advice appreciated as well as reasoning.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony LengyelAe User dabbling in C4D ... Advice appreciated as well as reasoning.
by on Jul 3, 2016 at 6:42:23 pm

First off thanks to all the AWESOME people in these forums.

I usually read and learn from the After Effects forums but I have been dabbling in some of the "dark arts" of 3D with Cinema 4D Studio I took the plunge and bought it. I absolutely LOVE it and my question is not really about the program as much as reasoning.

Let me explain...

I had been exporting my stuff that I create from C4D with alpha channels and usually work in .mov files for various reasons. So my natural instincts was too export my C4D projects as .mov files, so I can import into Ae for finishing touches etc.

I have recently read that rendering into anything but still frames from a program like C4D is frowned upon for "various" reasons. The post actually said "various reasons" not any reasonings. Some things come to mind though like file size, quality loss and maybe speed of render? I like to put reasons to why things are done certain ways, so I can understand the whole process not just do it because someone states to do it a certain way.

I have done tests with alpha image renders for sequence in Ae seems to work great and I am using this method I just want to understand why.

Thanks if anyone can help me understand the reasoning for exporting stills and what is preferred type of format also.

-Tony

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Ae User dabbling in C4D ... Advice appreciated as well as reasoning.
by on Jul 3, 2016 at 7:53:02 pm

Welcome to the dark world. ;-)

I would say that the primary reason for rendering to individual frames is that you don't risk losing your entire render in the event that you experience a crash or some other misfortune. This can be a BIG problem if you're working on a tight deadline and, e.g., rendering out your animation over night. You could come back in the morning and find that you're completely screwed.

Another reason is that there's generally less overhead for compositing and 3D programs reading image sequences as opposed to compiled movie files. In order to use .mov files, your compositor/editor/3D program has to first decompress the entire animation. The difference becomes particularly stark if you ever use animated textures or backgrounds in Cinema, where movie files can really bog down the program.

Return to posts index

Tony LengyelRe: Ae User dabbling in C4D ... Advice appreciated as well as reasoning.
by on Jul 3, 2016 at 8:43:46 pm

Thank you so much that was the lines I was thinking as yes you can render from last frame before crash and so on... I appreciate the time you took to answer this and I hope to ask more in this forum as I learn this very cool and exciting program.

Have good weekend.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]