MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cant export camera from C4D to AE!

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edgars EralkasCant export camera from C4D to AE!
by on Jul 3, 2016 at 9:06:08 am

So, I am having some problems when I am importing the aec file to my after effects cs6.
I am using Cinema4D R17 btw. So, when I am importing the aec file, the render shows up,
but the camera data and the lights data dont! I have the newest cineware plugin, but it
just doesnt work! Please, could you help me?? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Cant export camera from C4D to AE!
by on Jul 3, 2016 at 4:18:13 pm

Do you have the "Include 3D data" box checked in the Render>Save>Compositing Project File settings?

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Cant export camera from C4D to AE!
by on Jul 3, 2016 at 4:40:45 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Jul 3, 2016 at 4:55:18 pm

Not to hijack your post Edgars, but I cannot get the .aec files to work at all going from R17 to CS6. When exporting the same C4D project file from R13 to CS6 it works fine, but not from R17. Perhaps Adam, you can shed some light on this. I seem to remember a post from a few years ago where you told someone to use the exchange plugins from R16. Is that still correct? If so, as I only have R13 and R17, I would very much appreciate it if you could provide a download of the R16 exchange plugins.

Interestingly enough, the icon for the .aec file created from R17 (the top one below) looks different than the one from R13, leading me to think there is something missing:

Edit: Adam, I found the Maxon download page for the plugin updates, but the R16 version appears to be the same one given for R17. So if you know of any of them that will work with R17 please let me know. Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2016 at 7:40:47 pm

It's working here for me with R17 and AE CS6. I'm using the plugin that's installed in R17's Maxon>Exchange Plugins folder.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2016 at 9:03:12 pm

Thanks Adam. Unfortunately for me that plugin is not working.

The C4DImporter.plugin that I have in AE's plugin folder is dated July 19, 2014. Is that the same one you have? And are you on a Mac or Windows computer? I also have a C4DFormat.plugin, a C4DExporter.plugin, and a Cinema4DAE.plugin, though I think there must be some redundancy there because when I go to export an AE project to C4D there are two C4D Exporter choices given in the selection window. If you could enlighten me on what the differences between those three are, and which ones may be old or redundant, I would appreciate it.

Also, I know that icons can be easily changed, but it seems odd to me that the icon for the .aec file generated by R17 (the one that does not work properly) is different from the working file from R13. Any ideas?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jim ScottSuccess
by on Jul 3, 2016 at 9:40:50 pm

Ok, I found the problem. Apparently the Cinema4DAE.plugin was old and causing a conflict. Once I removed that the import into AE CS6 works fine with the R17 .aec file (though I still have two "Cinema 4D Exporter" selections in the Export dialogue box).

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2016 at 9:43:57 pm

Hi Jim,

I'm on Windows. The C4DImporter plugin I have is dated 5-11-15, so newer than the one you're talking about. This is the plugin that allows AE to open the .aec files.

The C4DFormat plugin allows you to go the other way: from AE to Cinema.

You may have multiple versions installed which could be the problem. I'd delete the ones you have installed now and replace them with the versions in the Exchange Plugins folder that was installed with R17.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2016 at 9:50:11 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Jul 3, 2016 at 9:55:54 pm

Thanks Adam. The Mac version is older, but still the latest Maxon has provided. Thankfully I found the problem with the conflicting plugin.

Thanks for the info on the C4DFormat plugin. The export from AE to C4D is working fine as well.

Edit: the C4DExporter.plugin I had was old as well. Removing that eliminated the second Cinema 4D Exporter choice in AE's Export dialogue.

All is well now. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jim ScottThanks Edgars
by on Jul 3, 2016 at 10:01:42 pm

Thanks for letting me borrow your post to work out my problem, Edgars. As if you had a choice. ;)

Hopefully you solved your own issue with Adam's first response.

Return to posts index

Blair HarrowerRe: Thanks Edgars
by on Dec 5, 2016 at 9:46:24 pm

Hi guys,

I'm getting the same problem with R17. The .aec file C4D generates is unusually small plus it doesn't seem like c4d calculates the data when it exports as it is almost instant. I've dropped a cube, a camera and a light into c4d and the file size it saved was 757bytes. Thats not normal is it? I'm also experiencing the issue Jim was getting with the file icon.

Please help!

Thanks,
B.

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Thanks Edgars
by on Dec 6, 2016 at 4:15:25 pm

Blair,

Do you have more than just the two plugins (C4DFormat and C4DImporter) from Applications> Maxon>Cinema 4D R17> Exchange Plugins in your AE Plugins folder? If so, they are probably older versions like I had that are messing up the import.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2016 at 5:18:52 pm

Thanks for getting back to me Jim.

I did a fresh C4D install 2 days ago on a new machine. The only files in the Maxon exchange folder are the ones put there on install. These werent working so I went onto Maxon's site and replaced them with the latest R17 ones they have in their downloads section. Still no luck unfortunately.

I'm so confused.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2016 at 6:39:15 pm

Just to confirm:

1) You have copied the two plugins from the Exchange folder (C4DFormat and C4DImporter) into the plugins folder in AE.

2) In C4D: In the Render Settings>Save>Compositing Project File settings you have checked "Save" and "Include 3D Data," and then rendered an image sequence (pngs for example) to a folder.

3) Once #2 has been done, you should have a folder with a XXX.aec file and all the images.

4) In AE: File menu>Import>File, and select the XXX.aec file from the folder above.

AE should import the files and you should have a folder in your Project window with two items - the XXX composition and the XXX [0000-0060].png (assuming a 60 frame animation). When you double-click on the XXX composition it should open in your timeline and include the Camera and Light and png sequence that you created in C4D.

If that's not what you're getting, please elaborate.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2016 at 8:50:05 pm

Thanks again for the reply.

Yes I've tried all of the above. The frames render fine but it seems like the problem is with c4d exporting the .aec file. The icon looks like the one you posted above plus there's no data (1kb). C4D would usually take some time to calculate the 3d data when exporting a camera / lights but this does not behave like that.

I even tried importing the file into AE but the .aec file is greyed out. I'm 99% sure the issue lies with C4D's exporter. Do you have to move the files in the exchange folder or something? I can't remember ever doing this in the past?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

B.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2016 at 1:07:06 am

Since the .aec file is just a project file it will be small. In a quick test, mine was 8KB. 1KB does seem excessively small and would seem to suggest that an improper (or simply empty) file is being generated.

As I understand it, C4D's "Exchange Plugins" folder is essentially just a contents folder for the plugins you need to install in AE (or other applications). You don't need to "move" them, other than copying and pasting them into the AE "Plug-ins" folder. If they're only in the C4D folder they aren't doing anything. And as far as importing into AE is concerned, you only need the C4DImporter plugin to be in the AE folder. The C4DFormat plugin is for AE to C4D export.

When you select File>Import>File, and navigate to the folder containing the .aec file and the image sequence, you should be able to select the .aec file and click on "Open." If the file is greyed-out (unselectable) then there is obviously an issue with it. What that issue is, I don't know.

If you want, post the C4D project file you created for testing and I will run it on my system. I could then post the generated .aec file back to you and see if that works on your system. By the way, I am assuming you're on a Mac. If not, this probably won't work.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2016 at 9:48:01 am

Hi Jim,

Thanks again for the help with this.

Ok so I need to copy the contents of the exchange folder into AE's plugins folder too? - I haven't done this yet. I'll try this shortly and let you know how I get on. I still find it strange that C4D doesn't export the .aec properly though.

Yes, I'm using a mac - let me try copying those files and I'll see how that goes. Failing that, I'll send you a simple test build if thats ok? I'm a bit of a newbie here so how is best to send you files? Can you PM on here?

Thanks again!
B.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2016 at 3:25:51 pm

I'm glad to help, Blair. Hopefully we can get this all worked out.

Yes, copy the C4DImporter.plugin and C4DFormat.plugin for your version of AE from the "Exchange Plugins" folder and paste them into AE's "Plug-ins" folder.

To upload a file, click on the floppy disk icon (or maybe it's a computer) in the Message menu. It's the last one on the right. You can hover your cursor over each of those icons to see what they do.

That will open up a window which will allow you to select the file to upload. It will then create a link that you can copy and paste into your message.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2016 at 4:36:42 pm

Great! Yeah it's so frustrating when you hit these kind of walls.
Let me give this a try when I'm at my work machine tonight. I'll keep you posted!
Cheers,
B.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2016 at 8:06:55 pm

Jim,

Huge thank you for your help with this. That worked a treat! Thanks again for your patience. Much appreciated!

B.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2016 at 9:19:15 pm

Great. I'm glad you got it worked out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]