MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

C4D Preparing a Textured Model for 3d Printing (STL)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick BatemanC4D Preparing a Textured Model for 3d Printing (STL)
by on Jun 10, 2016 at 6:12:05 pm

Hey there everyone!
So- I'm not sure if this is a crazy workflow, or I'm just thinking about this all wrong- but I'm basically looking to 3d print a lot of buildings which I have modeled and textured in c4d. Obviously, with 3d printing, I need either an obj or an stl, and any bump/displacement maps that I have on there (like wall texture and bricks) won't carry over. Is there a simple way that I'm missing for combining the texture and object into a single mesh? I'm not sure if baking is the right word, but anyway- any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: C4D Preparing a Textured Model for 3d Printing (STL)
by on Jun 11, 2016 at 8:29:34 pm

you can't bake bumps into actual bumps but displacement can be converted into geometry with the Displacer deformer, however, not SubPoly displacement so you would have to subdivide the object enough to be the same as any subpoly you used.

If the displacement is all in one texture check Emulation in the Displacer and that will give you it's best estimation of the displacement and you can do a Current State To Object.

If your displacement is in multiple shaders then use multiple Displacer deformers as children of your object and feed them the texture tags with Displacement chosen (do not use the Emulation check). You have to set the amount of displacement in each Displacer, and you'd have to use the Falloff settings in the Displacers to limit the area affected as you can't use poly selections. Then do a Current State To Object.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved