MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Boole + cube not working when trying to cut a block out of a car model

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sirois
Boole + cube not working when trying to cut a block out of a car model
on Jun 10, 2016 at 5:25:03 pm
Last Edited By Michael Sirois on Jun 10, 2016 at 5:27:22 pm

I have a complex car model, complete with the interior mechanical parts and everything, and I'm trying to cut a quadrant out of it. I know that you can use boole to essentially "cut" holes into objects. It works on other objects, but for some reason attempting to do this on such a complex car model freezes the software. I've let it run for up to a half an hour but the program is still frozen afterward. I'm assuming this process is simply too much for my computer to handle. Does anyone now if there's an easier way to accomplish what I'm doing, or if I'm doing it wrong? To be clear, I have made all of the car's objects into a single group, and then I create a boole and add the car group, and then the cube underneath (but not a child to) the car layer.

Also, I'm using Cinema 4D Lite for After Effects (if that makes any difference)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Boole + cube not working when trying to cut a block out of a car model
on Jun 10, 2016 at 7:21:24 pm

Might just be too complex for the Boolean Object, but whenever there's a problem with it my advice is always to try it with the "high quality" option unchecked. It often works better that way.

Return to posts index

Michael Sirois
on Jun 10, 2016 at 7:52:11 pm

Thanks for the response! I just tried repeating the process with the "high quality" option unchecked. Thankfully, the spinning beachball didn't appear, and it may have actually worked. For a moment, it looked like the quadrant of the car had been successfully cut out. However, as soon as I tried to change my camera angle to be sure, everything disappeared (but only due to slow rendering, the layers/objects are still all there). I'm rendering it in After Effects and will see how it turns out.

Would you know a better way for me to cut a square out of the back right quadrant of a car model? I've been going crazy researching a way to do this. Unfortunately, C4D Lite doesn't let me use the knife feature, which would have been my 2nd option.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 10, 2016 at 11:39:12 pm

I don't know of another way to do it in Cinema. There was a plugin called rboole that worked with alpha materials but I don't think it works in versions after 15.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jun 10, 2016 at 11:51:09 pm

rBoole still works in 17 but only with the Physical renderer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]