MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

LED - style Wall of Lipsticks?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alan farkasLED - style Wall of Lipsticks?
by on Jun 1, 2016 at 3:09:08 am

So I have a job for which I need to create a plane filled with open lipsticks. This is next-level stuff for me. The closest thing I can think of is basically making an LED screen in which the LED's are open Lipsticks. Weird, but true. Need to get on this asap, so all help would seriously and sincerely be appreciated. Here's some specs I'm working with:

1 Wall is 6’ Wide and 14’ Tall

2 Gap between Lipstick/LED's needs to be 1/2" apart (though I will probably need to be able to somehow easily change that upon director request.)

3. Need to be able to change colors at-will, if possible.

Thank you so much, in advance!

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: LED - style Wall of Lipsticks?
by on Jun 1, 2016 at 5:09:10 am

The fact that you included dimensions made me first think that you wanted to actually build this display. But since you posted the question on the C4D forum I'm guessing that your question is how to create it in C4D. If that's the case, placing your lipstick model in a cloner set to grid array would be easiest. Perhaps one array for the lipstick cases and another matching array for the lipstick itself with a random effector set to color to control the lipstick shades. Align the lipsticks vertically to fit inside the cases and you could even have them rotate as they extend if that's something you're looking for.

Just imagining one scenario, but hope this helps.

Return to posts index

alan farkasRe: LED - style Wall of Lipsticks?
by on Jun 1, 2016 at 5:21:28 am

Thanks so much for the quick reply. t's actually the color effector I think I need to figure ouit. I need my texture to tell my cloner which lipsticks need to be which specific color, so when you zoom out, you can see the design of the texture.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2016 at 6:17:07 am

Well I sort of fogured it out from this video (and apparently its very easy) - but I think maybe Vray is mesing it up during render. Anyone know anything about this?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2016 at 2:58:56 pm

For those who run into this in the future, here's the solution to why it didn't show up in render: Tick off "Render Instances" in cloner. Which of course makes sense when I figured it out. Harumph.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2016 at 3:10:41 pm

Glad you got it worked out.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 3, 2016 at 3:38:39 pm

ACtually, it changed. I'm going to look up solutions, but now I need to make a pattern of repeating swatch colors (one per lipstick object) and repeat the pattern. Also I should probably set it up so in case I need to change the colors, i can easily.

Any thoughts? I know there's some sort of indexing feature in mograph, but need to figure out exactly how. Even links appreciated, thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 3, 2016 at 8:33:38 pm

For the best exposure, I would suggest starting a new post with a detailed explanation of what you need to do. And, if possible, post your project file along with the question.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: LED - style Wall of Lipsticks?
by on Jun 7, 2016 at 2:21:42 am

long time ago - hope you figured it out

it's possible to do the first version of the thread with a texture applied to the whole cloned set in Flat mapping which would give partial coverage to some of the lipsticks like this

flatonclones.jpg
10163_lipsticktest3.c4d.zip

it's possible to stop that by using a Shader effector (with the same image referred to) so that each clone is coloured a single color corresponding to the what colour the image is at the origin point of the clone.

shadereffector.jpg
10164_lipsticktest4.c4d.zip

Your new (old now) problem of patterns of lipstick colours is possible if the entire rage of coulis is made into one per lipstick (depends on the total number of shades necessary) or using a multishader with all the shades in it.

10165_lipsticktest5.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]