MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Adding Engraving to Ring (C4D Newbie)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily AtkinsonAdding Engraving to Ring (C4D Newbie)
by on May 29, 2016 at 3:05:10 pm

I've modelled a ring and would like to engrave text into the inside of the ring.
I have tried the boolean method but it just wasn't turning out right. I'm now trying to use sub polygon displacement with a grayscale image of my text to achieve it but the text keeps showing up all over the ring. I've realised that I need to make a selection for the part of the ring that will have the engraved text to avoid this from happening. However, since my selection has lots of polygons inside, the engraving is appearing on each polygon face. Is there a way that I can merge these polygons to make one polygon face.
Here's my selection:

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Adding Engraving to Ring (C4D Newbie)
by on May 29, 2016 at 3:52:05 pm

You can make a polygon selection by selecting the polys and creating a polygon selection tag from the Selection menu (Set Selection). Then you can assign that selection to a texture tag by dragging and dropping the poly tag or typing the name into the texture tag's "Selection" box.

Having said that, it sounds like the biggest issue you're having is with UV mapping, which generally describes how textures are applied to objects. If your texture tag is set to Projection>UV Mapping then the program will apply textures based upon a flattened version of your mesh. The process of getting a good UV map can be somewhat involved. In your case you can probably avoid that by using Cylindrical projection, but you'll have to scale and rotate the projection to get it to fit correctly.

I'd suggest you read the help docs on UV projection.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved