MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cinema 4D on maxed out iMac 5k?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon HjortekCinema 4D on maxed out iMac 5k?
by on May 11, 2016 at 6:49:35 pm

Hey guys!

I’m a graphic designer, mainly doing work in photoshop, animations in After Effects and HD (sometimes 4K and multicam) video editing.
I’ve previously worked on a 2012 non-retina Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM, but I’m now going to buy a new stationary work station.

As I like the Mac environment I’m thinking of buying a pretty much maxed out iMac 5k 27” screen with:
4,0 Ghz i7 CPU
512gb flash drive
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB graphics card.

I’m sure this will be great for work in photoshop and video editing, but what I’m concerned about is if it will be good for compositing in After Effects? I’m also thinking of starting using Cinema 4D and looking into the Octane render and the Arnold renderer.

Does anyone have any experience working in AE and Cinema 4D on an iMac 5k? Is it nice or just total crap?

I’ve also looked at the Mac Pro (The entry level model) but thinking it might be overkill for me.
Of course there’s also the Hackintosh option, but having no experience in building computers I think that’s not for me.

Thanks for taking your time and your advice! :)

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Cinema 4D on maxed out iMac 5k?
by on May 11, 2016 at 9:52:16 pm

No experience with that computer, but at the moment you'll need an nVidia card if you want to use Octane Render. I've heard some talk about them supporting AMD with Octane 3.0, but there's no telling when that will come and if/when it will actually support AMD.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Cinema 4D on maxed out iMac 5k?
by on May 11, 2016 at 10:37:54 pm

There are GPU renderers that will work with AMD, look for OpenCL support - Thea and Indigo are all I can think of at the moment but there are more IIRC (and as Adam said rumors of OpenCL support in Octane 3)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved