I need some suggestions with folds on a juice carton

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luiz Cruz
I need some suggestions with folds on a juice carton
on May 6, 2016 at 8:29:52 pm
Last Edited By Luiz Cruz on May 6, 2016 at 9:28:06 pm

Hello!

I've been playing with C4D for about 2 years now but of course there are challenges that glitch the hell out of my brain.

A friend of mine asked me to model a juice carton following this Tetra Pak packaging (Square 330 w/ DreamCap).

I have the schematics and everyting and I've tried working with Fold My Design with no success and importing the splines and coverting them to polygons, folding them manually, also with no success.

So I started modelling it from a cube, and I got a pretty good result so far. The only problem now are those folds at the top (and at the bottom too). I have no idea how I'm going to do them. Can you guys help please?

I saw the milk carton model included in the starter libraries and I noticed the geometry was actually folded to achieve the result there. I just don't know how to make something similar.

I have attached pictures of what I have been modelling so far and where do I need to get (apart from the Tetra Pak link).

Reference image

What I have

I would love some help on this. Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: I need some suggestions with folds on a juice carton
on May 7, 2016 at 7:23:08 pm

I would try a loop cut around the box up near the top (about the thickness the folds should be) then extrude out on two opposite sides then bend that down and taper it to a point.

Return to posts index

Luiz Cruz
on May 8, 2016 at 11:19:31 pm

Nice idea, Brian. I have thought of this solution before but I'll try executing it one more time.

One question though: I bent the extruded top cut manually. Is it possible to use deformers on selected geometry of an object?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 9, 2016 at 3:37:35 am

I would try manually it's just a matter of putting more cuts in where you need and it has to be simpler than trying to do it with deformers (not that it can't be done)

Return to posts index

Luiz Cruz
on May 9, 2016 at 8:50:15 pm

Hi, Brian.

Thanks for the help! :)

I was trying to knife the loop at the top, extrude it and rotate it using the edge as anchor but when I bent (rotated the extruded polygons) I was getting some weird geometry.

So I started doing it all via extrude-only and got good results with good control over what I was achieving. The only problem now is to be able to see what I knife behind the fold so that I get the triangle shape (red) and can dissolve the polygons in blue, please see here:

Do you know any way around this? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 9, 2016 at 9:10:19 pm

I would try selecting the polys on the end that you want to taper (just the tip/end ones) and scale in the one direction to taper it rather than trying to cut.

Return to posts index

Luiz Cruz
on May 10, 2016 at 6:45:58 pm

Brian, I wasn't able to do what you suggested but I got a pretty close result by melting the sides of an extruded shape from the top.

I'm just getting a geometry that's too soft for what I need when I use the HyperNURBS and I'm a bit insecure about where and how to create edge loops to get around this:

step1.jpg
step2.jpg
step3.jpg
step4.jpg

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 11, 2016 at 2:49:01 pm

it's generally a combination of bevelling edges, making cuts and edge/point weighting that will give results. All or only one of those may be what it takes, it depends on the structure. If you can post that final model I could take a stab at it as an example.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]