MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Advice in building a lane of flying cars

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric SnowAdvice in building a lane of flying cars
by on Apr 28, 2016 at 4:37:57 pm

Hello. I'd like some advice, please for a C4D newbie. I'm working on a matte painting which features a lot of flying cars. Something like this:

I have a model flying car and I assigned it to a null to fly it from one position to another. Then I duplicate this animated car, assign a new null to its null, and offset it. This way, I have created groups of flying cars that travel from one point to another.

PROBLEM #1: The cars just 'hang' in space after they've traveled. I can't seem to 'turn off' the cars to make them 'dissapear' into the horizon. I've tried to animate the 'display' tag to make the cars dissappear, but I get no results.

PROBLEM #2: The cars are difficult to 'randomize' by offsetting each null individually. Is this kind of animation something I should try to create with mograph? My individual approach seems to be really tedious, and not giving me the kinds of results I'm looking for.

PROBLEM #3: How would you create something like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Advice in building a lane of flying cars
by on Apr 28, 2016 at 9:17:54 pm

if you have MoGraph, cloning the cars along a spline would be the easiest, a random effector would be able to give some randomness to the positions (and some Offset variation).

For the disappearing cars a mixed texture with a Linear 3D Gradient in the Transparency channel set to World space (or the 3D gradient in every cars transparency channel - how much work that is depends on how you are texturing the cars, how many different cars there are etc.)

Return to posts index

Eric SnowRe: Advice in building a lane of flying cars
by on Apr 29, 2016 at 8:01:10 pm

Many thanks! I will try it and post my results!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved