MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

not enough memory issue

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ekpeti Chuks
not enough memory issue
on Apr 28, 2016 at 7:52:29 am

Hi everyone, please am having the challenge of rendering my current project but this "not enough memory" keeps popping up. I have adjust my render settings as suggested on various tutorials on YouTube, but still the problem persists. Sometimes when I try to add other works to the same project it displays the "not enough memory" too.please I wanna know if there's a means of enlarging the memory space, so as to accommodate the project conveniently. The projects is about 1157520kbytes, dont know if it's too much the maximum memory capacity of cinema 4d. Please I really need help on this.

Thanks alot
Chuks

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: not enough memory issue
on Apr 28, 2016 at 2:04:41 pm

What OS are you running?
What version of C4D?
How much memory do you have installed?
Is not enough memory popping up in the viewport or while rendering (both?)?
Do you have Subdivision Surface objects inside other Subdivision Surface objects (or other generators inside generators creating huge amounts of geometry)?

Return to posts index

Ekpeti Chuks
on Apr 28, 2016 at 2:34:21 pm

Os- windows 8.1
Cinema 4d r14
Not sure the memory u r talking about, but going to edit/ preferences/ memories I found out the following
*animated material (mb) 4
*renderer displacement 200mb
*picture viewer memory 512mb
Picture viewer hard drive 512mb

The not enough memory pops up initially when I model a new part and merge it to the main project, but somehow it doesn't do that for now, it only comes up when I hit render. And if I have this project up and running it displays not enough memory if I open some other files in another window
I have a lot of lofting and sweep nubs in this model (with just the default set-up, no increment in the sub divisions) and I copy and paste a modeled component in various parts. Very few hypernubs.

My computer/spec if it will be of help is
Lenovo g50 80
Amd radeon 2gb graphic card
Core i5
Ram- 6gb (upgraded to 8gb at the moment)

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 28, 2016 at 2:58:29 pm

by memory I meant physical memory (RAM) and that's 6 (or maybe 8 for the moment, thanks) That's ok but it's not a lot if your scene has a lot of polys or a lot of objects and Lofts and Sweeps generate a bunch of geometry at render time. Remember the OS is taking a large chunk of the RAM, anything else you are running does as well. And of course opening another scene in C4D is taking some more too. I have 14 GB in my home and work machines and don't run into memory problems (but may not be making complex enough scenes to really push it) - I've seen advice to put in 16 GB as a good start.

Return to posts index

Ekpeti Chuks
on Apr 28, 2016 at 3:36:41 pm

Ok thanks alot, I think I will have to do an upgrade on the RAM, although I noticed a change wen I upgraded from 6gb to 8gb, I guess cranking it up to 16gb which is the max my computer can take will seal up the memory issue for good. M even thinking of getting a newer c4d version along with it, will it be of help too?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 28, 2016 at 3:44:55 pm

there are slight differences in memory handling in the versions but on slight (that I know of) upgrading is mostly just for features

Return to posts index

Ekpeti Chuks
on Apr 28, 2016 at 10:43:47 pm

Alright thanks alot

Return to posts index

Ekpeti Chuks
on May 5, 2016 at 2:33:06 pm

Hello please am back again, I just upgraded my RAM to 12gb and still having this not enough memory issue. The project size is about 483mb. I have installed adobe after effect and I want to know if I can actually export my project work along side with the camera setup into after effects to render. And again I want to know if the possibility of installing a newer version of c4d might do the magic,because am actually running out of options

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Meilak
on May 6, 2016 at 10:40:39 am

That'a a big file, though a third of what you originally said. I'd like to know what's in it- when you say 'and I copy and paste a modeled component in various parts' I prick up my ears. Render Instances for duplicates can save a huge lot of memory.

render instances are worth a try if you haven't already, but I'd upgrade to the full 16GB for your machine as Brian suggested.

Hope that helps
All the best

Return to posts index

Ekpeti Chuks
on May 7, 2016 at 6:20:18 pm

Ok I found out that I did not click on the render instance button in my cloner objects, and I have a lot them in my project. That reduced the memory consumption  a great deal, but the not enough memory still persists. I tried turning of the visibility of the project in the editor while I render it just to conserve memory, my findings is that it doesn't display the not enough memory when I do that but it takes a long time calculating or preparing to render (up to an hour as at when I am sending this message),I even try to reduce the frame range to 100f at the initial rendering. I can't just figure out where this whole thing is going wrong. Please is there a site I can upload this project for someone to just access ,review, and revert on this project? I strongly apologies for the inconvenience it might cost you to download,review and try to render it. 

Thanks for your concern 
Chuks

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 7, 2016 at 7:19:07 pm

with something that size most people would put it on one of the cloud services you can get for free - Dropbox, Box, Google Drive etc, etc.

Return to posts index

John Meilak
on May 8, 2016 at 11:08:39 am

Chuks, when you said earlier you copied and pasted objects were they polygonal objects or were you referring to the cloners? These all show benefit with render instances, so if were copying and pasting objects, try using duplicate as render instances as well.

Failing that, I don't think you have enough RAM - check your task manager and the swap file size- the hard drive is used to extend RAM, but that can be limited by your available hard disk space- if not enough free space, it will be out.

Return to posts index

Ekpeti Chuks
on May 8, 2016 at 12:08:36 pm

Ok let me see how best I can explain it, am trying to build a 3phase gravitational separator, it has manual ball valves flange, liquid level control valves, pipes e.t.c. Most of the above mentioned I used loft nubs,sweep nubs, and extrude commands to achieve. Then there are a lot of bolts and knots holding pieces together, using the cloner object i was able to distribute bolts and knots around a flange. Let me give a clear example of what I meant by "copy and paste objects", if after creating a ball valve ( basically comprises of bolts in a cloner objects, Boole for creating a cylindrical hole in a ball,loft nub for creating the valve body) I will then copy and paste the one I have created in other parts of the separator that needs a ball valve. And this separator is made up of many valves and pipes for fluid flow manipulations. By copying and pasting to have a duplicate I end up adding more cloner objects to the scene (initially without render instance turned on) hence consuming more unnecessary memory space, well even with that render instance checked and the memory reduced, I still can't get the memory issue solved.with c4d workspace currently running without my project, the task manager indicates a memory usage of 126.7mb and a total of 17% of the RAM (12gb) used. When the separator project is turned the memory usage shoots up to and average of 1621.6mb and a total of 29% of the ram usage, mind u the c4d constitutes 33% of the used up memory too. If I hit render sometimes it goes up to 2342.15mb, my processor speed is 2.2ghz, I have a 2gb amd radeon graphic card inbuilt.I really hope I am making sense with all wat am saying. Am trying to upload it to one of this cloud services so u guys can check on it as well, unfortunately for me here in Nigeria the Internet services can be shaky sometimes but I will get it on air soonest. I really appreciate the concern of you guys and am very optimistic that the problem will be solved here.
Thanks
Chuks

Return to posts index

John Meilak
on May 9, 2016 at 9:45:32 am

Hi Chuks looks complicated.
I just re-read your post on May 8, are you rendering an animation? I thought a still? In that case, if you weren't getting an out of memory error then with whatever you were doing (I didn't follow), the long preparation you were getting may be due to you using Full Animation mode where preparation is done for all frames. Do the objects move? If not, try turning that off to use camera animation, to prepares and renders frame by frame. (I'd turn it off anyway just to test).

Return to posts index

Ekpeti Chuks
on May 9, 2016 at 1:17:19 pm

I want to do an animation video to show the internal mechanism of the project, I have finish the scene with different camera views and a stage to organise the camera views. I was advice to render as image sequence in png then export to after effect to make a video of it. At the moment if I click on the render view it renders (after making sure all cloner render instances are turned on), but if I click on render picture viewer it takes a long time calculating and at the end it displays not enough memory, even when the render settings is set to current key frame.

Return to posts index

John Meilak
on May 11, 2016 at 10:09:20 am

OK also what resolution are you rendering at, try the lowest quality to see if that helps. Try rendering a still not an animation to test a frame as it's a lot smaller. Don't forget not only do you have the OS, C4D, your big file, other apps in RAM, it has to have space to calculate, and then produce the final output as per your render settings in RAM also, and when you click render it calculates if it enough resources to do it. Again, it is a RAM question, and let's be honest, your computer may be underpowered.

Return to posts index

Ekpeti Chuks
on May 11, 2016 at 12:36:47 pm

I tried rendering at a lower pixel and rendering just a frame as well and it's still taking too much time calculating the rendering and at the end it displays not enough memory after 28mins. While it's calculating the rendering I checked my task bar and it showed the following cpu-31% (with c4d 30.9%), memory 34% (with c4d 2088.4mb). So even at rendering it still doesn't go up to half of to total ram size, which to me is a bit fair on the memory side. When I click play on my time it drags a lot and starts displaying in wire frames. when I click on the play button on the timeline, my task bar displays an average of the following cpu 34% (c4d 32.6%) memory 26% (c4d 1019.4mb) but the timeline drags it doesn't run as fast as it does in my smaller projects. I tried rendering again and as it's calculating I found out that the cpu rises up to 60% and and when it gets above 60% it displays not responding in the c4d task bar status then it's comes down to 56% and c4d comes on again,it keeps fluctuating witin the range of 54-62 with c4d displaying not responding in the task bar above 60%, while the memory goes up to 35% with c4d 2145.6mb

Return to posts index

John Meilak
on May 12, 2016 at 9:27:25 am

I'd expect the real hit to memory will come when it is writing the frames, it seems you are in the calculation evaluation phase, and maybe it decided against. But then it is surprising it's the same for a still render. What I was really getting at before was what are your render settings, are you trying to render HD, large format etc, do have large textures. All I can suggest is try doing a hardware render (preview render, low quality but renders quickly as a movie-- poss avi), or try rendering at a small resolution, maybe even 640x480, to find your limit. It may also be possible to optimise your file further- Beyond that I can't suggest anything as I haven't a clear idea of what is in your file,

Return to posts index

Ekpeti Chuks
on May 15, 2016 at 6:43:39 am

Well I tried rendering the same project on another system with almost the same spec, and I found out it was displaying the same result, obviously the problem is not from my computer, I guess the project rendering is too big for my system to handle. I tried breaking it into smaller units and rendering it in png sequence hoping to superimpose them in aftereffects, but even at smaller units it's renders only some few frames and display d not enough memory at the end. I have played around with the render settings ( using hardware rending as well), it only renders some few frame and displays the not enough memory at the end. I even try to render fewer frames (1-40) yet it displays not enough memory. Am thinking of looking for someone with a more powerful machine to help me render it (maybe a work station), but before i that please I want to know if there are render plugins that can help my computer accomplish this task even if it will take a very long time to render I will be patient enough for that, I just want to get rid of this not enough memory issue. I was reading about cineman renderer, and I found this very interesting "The Physical Renderer in Cinema 4D R15 uses Intel’s Embraer raytracing engine whose highly optimized algorithms increase render power by up to 300% - without any reduction in image quality! The more complex a scene is, the more you get out of this increased power, regardless of which processor you’re using!"....please I wanna know if the above stated (as copied from the info source) means I have a better shot on rendering the project using r15 on my computer. Thank once again for all your comments

Return to posts index

John Meilak
on May 15, 2016 at 8:29:20 am

Hi Chuks Why don't you download the demo version of R17, I don't think not much changed to renderer since R15 (I think reflectance but don't worry about that). You cant save but will answer that question for you.
If you got it to render some frames by cutting down, check your task manager while its happening to see total RAM available and virtual RAM - make sure you have enough free disk space for virtual RAM as that would be limiting for R17 also..

Return to posts index

Ekpeti Chuks
on May 15, 2016 at 9:26:44 am

I use r14, I think I will get the r17. After cutting down and rendering it displays the not enough memory when the total ram usage is just 30%.

Return to posts index

John Meilak
on May 16, 2016 at 12:13:38 am

Hey Chuks, are you running Windows 32 bit? That will only recognise up to 4 GB RAM, rest is wasted. Hence your 30%. To use a lot more you need Win 64 bit on a compatible machine. Be aware also that c4d went 64 bit ONLY from R15 I believe, no 32 bit, so if that is the problem, best check your laptop first. Just a thought as not mentioned in your specs.

Return to posts index

Ekpeti Chuks
on May 17, 2016 at 10:32:29 am

Yes I think I was running the 32bit version all this while, I have changed over to the 64 bit, well it still dint render my work but when I try breaking it down into smaller projects to superimpose them in after effect, it was rendering in bits, it's a painstaking process but it's worth giving a try. I just hope I can be able to merge them in after effects to get the desired results. Still trying to get a newer version of c4d (r15,16 or 17) I hope that helps as well thank you all once again.

Return to posts index

Ge Jees
on May 18, 2016 at 1:28:11 pm

About the same problem here. Not enough memory error. but only on the network render. just rendering at the workstation is fine. both master and slave have 32GB ram and running on W10 pro.

Return to posts index

Ekpeti Chuks
on May 21, 2016 at 12:31:27 pm

Hi everyone, I just wanna tell you the latest so far on my project. I switched over to d 64bit as advised and try rendering it per hundred frames as png files, it's rendering now, although it's slow well that's bcos the file is big and it has 3400 frames. Thanks everyone for you contribution, I won't have been able to figure it out if not for ur inputs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]