MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Global Illumination: Is there a way to change the strength of the shadows?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred WeinestadGlobal Illumination: Is there a way to change the strength of the shadows?
by on Apr 13, 2016 at 8:02:34 am

Hey guys,

A question about global illumination. When rendering the shadows are very dark and I want them to be more of a light grey.

Is there a way to do this? I've played around with every setting possible in both the render settings and the settings of my lights.

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Global Illumination: Is there a way to change the strength of the shadows?
by on Apr 13, 2016 at 3:41:43 pm

There are a couple things you can look at. The first thing to consider is how many times light rays are allowed to bounce, which is determined by the diffuse depth parameter. Generally, the higher the diffuse depth the lighter your shadows will be.

If raising your diffuse depth doesn't solve the problem, or if it adds too much to your render time, you can think about adding some fakes. One thing you could do is add a little luminance to the floor/ground material. Another option would be to increase the generate or receive GI parameters on materials that are reflecting/receiving light (material's Illumination tab). Or you could do it the old fashioned way and add one or more invisible fill lights.

Return to posts index

Fred WeinestadRe: Global Illumination: Is there a way to change the strength of the shadows?
by on Apr 14, 2016 at 7:21:00 am

Thanks alot! I will dig right into it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]