MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Drawing a Spline Between 2 Objects in Xpresso

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Paterson
Drawing a Spline Between 2 Objects in Xpresso
on Apr 3, 2016 at 2:03:43 am

I have a 2-point spline that I've connected each point to a different object using a Point node, effectively creating a line between the 2 objects no matter where they go. However I need to be able to control the length of the spline- so I can animate it "connecting" to the 2nd object.

Tried some vector math but couldn't quite get it right. Do I need to use a Dot Product node to calculate the angle and then multiply that against some value to control the length of the spline? Or is there some easier way I'm completely overlooking?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Drawing a Spline Between 2 Objects in Xpresso
on Apr 3, 2016 at 3:13:31 am

Unless you're using the Hair post effect or Sketch & Toon, you're going to have to generate some geometry to render that line. So use a Sweep Nurbs object and animate the growth parameter.

Return to posts index

Ryan Paterson
on Apr 3, 2016 at 4:01:29 am

I appreciate that but I'm already using a Sweep Nurb. The reason I need to draw the spline is so the sweep follows the Spline Scale even as it grows, when I animate that property the end isn't scaled the way i need it to be

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Apr 3, 2016 at 3:13:57 pm

I see. In that case I'd use a MoSpline referencing the spline that's connecting your two objects. You can sweep the MoSpline and you can also animate the length of the MoSpline along the reference spline. If you go that way you'll have to keep in mind that the MoSpline's Spline>Width parameter controls the start radius of the sweep, as opposed to the radius of the profile spline that's being swept.

Example: 9940_mosplinesweep.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]